New member and new to growing first project log

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by zaphod23, Mar 5, 2009.

1. So i got this friend who calls me and says hey Z, I got a present for ya. Come n get it. So I go and this is what I find:
    PIC-0154.jpg
    PIC-0155.jpg

So now I'm keeping 4. :hello:. Today Imma get some potting soil (tomato stuff is what I heard and from what I've read is a good all-around starter soil. If not, lemme know. I'm also goin to Lowes or Depot tonight after work n picking up some lights. From reading and searching others grow logs, I hope to end up with a living garden, at least till harvest.:D
    I picked my closet in my room. I have about a 3X3 area I have no light in and can isolate and vent easily. I was also curious: is there any advantage to putting a mirror on the floor facing up to reflect the lights? If light is king, this would technically get more on the lower parts.
    And also, with the places I mentioned above any brand recommendations on the lights? I was planning on doing 2, possibly tubes.
    Thanks in advance.

2. As far as the lights go if your talking about 4 foot light floursents that would work for a lil while but youd have to keep them 3 to 4in from the tops to try to avoid stretching, cause the plants will become long and linky if there is not enough light, and later on ths will affect your harvest yield

cant really see the plants to good in the pics but they seem to be stretched a little, what ever u do dont get a miracle grow fertilizer, for some reason it dosent go good with cannabis, but yes it will work, dont use incadesent bulbs, that no good at all either

if u wanna go floursent go with day light compact flouresent bulbs while the plants are still growing, and when they flower , switch to the soft white bulbs

get the highest wattage u can find

u get .5 gramms of yield per watt so the more light u can get the better

personally im gonna use a 250 watt hps and 2 65 watt cfls on 18 plants flowering and thats really not gonna be enough, and thats almost 400 watts!!!

but ill get at least a half pound of good buds

what strain is it do u know or is it unknown???

3. Dude your plants are already stretching pretty bad
    get them in bigger pots and bring the soil close to the first node

4. Man, thanks fellas. Postin up pics on sunday of the closet grow room. I went with 3 lights for now (budget till monday) and not tubes, either. Also some organic soil that they had a good price on at WalMart (lord i hate that place). Moved into 10" growers pot? that were cheap. already look happier to me, but I am blazed so whatever, right?:smoke:

5. So, long weekend and now finally monday bake-off I been lookin forward to all week. My buddy and I don't smoke during the week to conserve righteous green and also to better appreciate it when we do get ripped. But back to business:

Went to WalMart (ugh, hate it!) and picked up some cheapo buckets, bout 2 gallon size, also got some potting soil. Went to Home Depot after that and picked up some bulbs and fixtures, also a lil digital timer that I experimenting with.

View attachment 183109

View attachment 183110

Repotted on friday, then had a friend water them for me. Already looking much happier!!

PIC-0165.jpg

PIC-0166.jpg

PIC-0167.jpg

PIC-0168.jpg

PIC-0169.jpg

PIC-0170.jpg

Right now am doing the 18/18. No sure idea how old they are, but they sure are spindly. I stupidly went with the potting soil that feeds for three months before I read what to look for in soil. Hopefully Ill be ok, just a lil hassle free. :confused_2:
    Anyway. Lil pic heavy, but I'm stoned and like pictures now. As always, comment and suggest away. But take it easy on me; very limited budget and first timer!
    One more thing: Can anyone tell what I got here? Mystery bud.
    :smoke:

6. You dont have the proper lights nor are they close enough to ya plants.
    You need to get CFLs I believe you have a heat lamp bulb.

7. I thought the same, but I was assured this would be fine as long as I was ventilating ok. Using a 6in fan at the bottom for air circulation, and at the soil am bout 75-80, so a lil gun-shy bout moving it closer. What exactly is it that determines the plant light distance/plant height ratio? Or rather what keeps a plant squat vs tall? :confused:

8. You need to get 26w daylight 6500k cfl bubls they will veg one plant. so get like 6 and you need to put them in there own pots.
    You cant have them in the same, they will root bound. and kill each other. or the dominate one will kill the other. plus you may have problems with the soil. time relise furts are lies. You cant controll how much nutes are in the soil. you will have a lot of nute burn.

9. With the soil I was afraid of that; the lights imma keep for a week and see how they do for a week with those vs the others you suggested, but Im only keeping 4 of these. Gettin rid of the worst ones, unfortunately, unless someone takes'em off my hands before friday.

10. You'll also need to bring down your lights. They should be about 2-3 inches above the plants so that they don't stretch for light.

11. Lil update:

I moved down the lights today after a watering, as far as temperature should I be measuring at the soil or the leaf?

PIC-0173.jpg

Hopefully this'll squat em down a bit. BTW, I was reading in other posts about a hormone or nutrient to give them to encourage bushier and shorter growth heightwise. Will any retail place carry something like that?