New Medical Marijuana Policy in effect

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by mechpro, Oct 19, 2009.

1. looks like we are winning. keep up the good fight.

2. Its a good step in the right direction but not near good enough. This doesn't really change anything. DA's can still prosecute anyone they want at their discretion and the federal government can still step in and prosecute also. Its good that they are attempting to address the issue, but we need something more definite and concrete.

I don't think we should even celebrate this as a small victory, we should move forward and demand complete legalization and regulation.

3. This is great news indeed!

4. I think this is good news in the sense that Obama is showing that he isn't completely pushing it off of his agenda, but I agree with Berry, this is so small a "victory" that it's hardly enough to keep anyone happy or to really make any significant steps towards the way things should be.

5. I was just about to post this story! I think it's a movement in a better direction. Not perfect, but, hopefully it is the begining of that small snowball that will get bigger and larger as it gains momentum.

Here's hoping at least...

6. i read this earlier...and its not good enough. They can still prosecute you, but they say they don't have to if they don't want to. nothings really changed unfortunately.

7. #9 stickey_fingerz, Oct 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2009

yes they are allowed to and are warned it is a big waste of time but. attorney general holder has said that as long as state dispensaries are run lawfully they will not attempt to prosecute... and obama has and the A.G. have stood by those comments for the most part 1 or 2 may have been hit but these raids we are hearing about are all raids happpening on businesses that gain large amounts of profit or letting anyone coem in and buy. they said if the dispensary is lawful they will not raid: these dispensaries were NOT lawful and got raided...

EDIT: this is a very big step the reason a lot of states do not have policies that go against the federal government is because the federal government will refuse funds to states that say would legalize marijuana... for example california legalizes marijuana, they go against federal law in doing so, the federal government now refuses to fund new highways or refuse to give money to the prison system etc etc... with this policy now in place states cannot use the violent hand of the federal govt as a reason to not have medical marijuana atleast....

8. Key here is that it indicates that state governments will have more freedom over the next 3-7 years to experiment with effective regulation and enforcement. Realistically, federal action will only come once there are functioning state programs that the feds can point to and say 'look, the dire predictions didn't come true, it can be made to work'.

Also keep in mind that this is a policy set by the executive branch, and can be changed at any time by the current administration or the next. Obama seems likely to hold the line on this one if re-elected. In 2012, people in favor of legalization should be looking to elect candidates committed to at minimum preserving the new policy- it would be very easy for the president to order the DOJ to go back to the Bush-era policy of ignoring compliance with state law in prosecutions of MMJ users and providers.

9. Sigh, tis good for the medical community. But the other 95% of smokers will still have to scurry in the dark like cockroaches. I just wish they would see that the shit helps people and not just those who are severly ill. My god, look at portugal. They've decriminalized EVERY substance known to man and within the first 5 years the drop of use of drugs was extraordinary, as well as the gov's ability to control the drug problem..
    Drugs in Portugal: Did Decriminalization Work? - TIME
    Time to get with it America

10. I too was coming over here to post it. I think it's good, not great news. It's certainly not bad news and definitely a step in the right direction. I think Obama won't be able to have much reform until his 2nd term (if he's able to get it) but I hope by then that MJ will be legal in California and a 2nd state (Oregon, Nevada, Rhode Island, or Massachusetts all have a chance) and then maybe he'll take some steps to curb the drug war.

I'm still excited to read that.

11. this is great news another step in the right direction. shit I was even on a metro train yesterday coming back from a football game and I heard people talking about MMJ legalization in my state VA. so yea this is a small step but it is a Step in the right direction. I think people are slowly but surely starting to realize the truth about mj.

12. Thats the biggest part of this. Discounting the propaganda and spreading TRUTH!
    Knowledge is power, and once the people have the knowledge, we will have the power to attempt real change!!!:hello:

13. sweet for me living in washington