New job as a dishwasher/prep!

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Kenoke, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Got a new job, today was my second day. Holy hell am I tired. My whole body aches. I smell(ed) like a garbage disposal/pancake batter.

Now for a small rant..

The main dishwasher who trained me was very softspoken, and an all around weird ass dude.

Today was my first day alone in the dishpit, and according to my coworkers, it was a slow saturday...the fuck!! i was golden until about 11 when the rush came in, and holy hell was I backed up. Understandable, its only my second day. My manager and co-workers are cool as hell, but i kept overhearing them talking about how i wasn't organized, and wasnt fast enough.

This is what my job entails: There are around 8 bustubs in the restauraunt, and i have to go out and collect them + bring them back to the dishpit, clean them, and put them away. when im not running the machine, im getting racks ready to clean, or putting shit away. This job is fucking hard, lol.

$9/hour. weekends only, cant complain.. but damn.

So, anyone whos in the foodservice industry (commerical kitchen wise, sorry Micky D's stoner) can you give me some tips on how to be more fast and efficient?

Oh and the worst part of all, in those 9 hours worked today I only got to piss once and smoke a cig twice.. gahhghahrah.

..And im out of pot.

2. I work in the pit, but im lucky. I work on a high high class golf course so dishes are the least of my worries.

I clean a shit load and prep fries and shit.

My first few shifts were tough, but once you learn the tricks you'll be able to go for like 5 cig breaks a shift. You gotta learn what they need right away (pans) and the shit you can leave aside and do after your smoke haha.

3. Damn, I should try to be a dishwasher

4. you'll pick up the dishwasher swag after a few shifts. especially second time doing it on a saturday. its all comes with repetition. worst part for me was the fucking cunt of a manager at my restaurant put the plate stacks on the other side of the kitchen so i had to walk thru a good amount of people with piping hot plates burning my hands.
    oh then the whore fired me for a Mexican cause he cleaned shit that he didnt have to and i only did what was asked

5. I was a dishwasher for about 9 months. Not gonna lie job is tough as shit and I rarely felt like the minimum wage I was getting was worth it.

The first time I did dishes solo it was pure hell. I was way backed up and uber stressed out. But after a fews sessions it was cake. Just focus, get a system going, and do fuckin work lol. I know it sucks in the beginning but you will get better.

I never did get over smelling like shit after a shift though. Every time I opened the washer hot steam rose into my face. Shits nasty.

6. yeh, dishwashings easy after ahwile, but fucking mind numbingly repetitive. im a commis chef now and our Dishwasher is 33 lol, if i was still doing that job day in day out i'd fucking top myself.

7. Not in the food industry, but...

Hard work makes a man honest and good. Seriously though, good job.

You'll be fine as you get more experience. I know this because you are actually seeking out how to be a better at what you do.

Not many people are motivated and have the desire to improve at what they do, especially at the entry level of work. Unfortunately, i know a lot of people on here would probably say "fuck them" and not give a fuck about how good of a job they did, so long as they got paid at the end of the day.

+rep for striving to do quality work even though you're only washing dishes.

8. I'm a dishwasher at Boston Market right now. Hate it there, the general manager expects me to work an hour over my shift and not pay me for it because supposedly IM slow. I have to wash everything by hand, rinse it, sanitize it, then put it away. On top of that I haveto take out trash, clean 20+ grease covered chicken rotisserie spits, clean the carts they use to move chicken to the front of the store, and clean my floor near the end of my shift. Its sucks. Looking for a new job currently.

sorry for the rant.

9. i work in a italian place, we do around 80 people in a night and thats alot for one person to do. AND i make salads and desert while i have to do thier 3 plates+ side stuff each, pans etc.

learn how to load the rack properly. when i train people they put like 2 plates, a couple cups and one pan. the fuck. fill it with 15 plates and then do 10 pans.. mixing shit wastes space and than you gotta put it back in different spots.

and if your cleaning something for 5 mins, put the rest of the shit through the wash while you do it. when im working im usually waiting for the machine to finish, cause i can empty the rack and have the shit ready to be cleaned in the 2 mins or so a cycle takes.

10. i work in a italian place, we do around 80 people in a night and thats alot for one person to do. AND i make salads and desert while i have to do thier 3 plates+ side stuff each, pans etc.

learn how to load the rack properly. when i train people they put like 2 plates, a couple cups and one pan. the fuck. fill it with 15 plates and then do 10 pans.. mixing shit wastes space and than you gotta put it back in different spots.

and if your cleaning something for 5 mins, put the rest of the shit through the wash while you do it. when im working im usually waiting for the machine to finish, cause i can empty the rack and have the shit ready to be cleaned in the 2 mins or so a cycle takes.

11. Thanks for the positive insights guys. Yeah it really helps that the people I work with are all very supportive and friendly. My managers helped me run plates back to the stations, etc. Just need to get some sort of system going.. i have an idea in my head.

12. I refuse to wash dishes.

13. lol i gotta job as a dishwasher too.. and im super high :smoke:

14. Ive worked as a dishwasher too man.

All I can say is; Keep your racks filled, and keep about 2/3 racks in rotation for the machine at all times (ok only at rush hour)
    And dont try to do everything as perfect or clean as u can, but rather be more organized and have some tempo. Thats all I have for ya man.

But I feel with u, I found it sucking a bit too.
    Smelling like fried oil and just plain dirty ass motherfucking water @ 1 in the morning, really fux with u.

15. I doubt anybodys life ambition is to be a dish washer.

16. I work (part time ;) ) in MacD's to fund my fun. There's no shame in having an honest job, so don't let anybody tell you there is.

17. Keep washing those dishes for a bit then you'll have a spot in the kitchen sooner or later. That's how most people get thier foot in the door for cooking.

As for getting done faster I'm not sure what to tell ya. Bring a bowl and some reefer and it should make the time fly.