New Jersey! Time to get busy! RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Storm Crow, Mar 18, 2009.

1. #1 Storm Crow, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2009
    Next week, the New Jersey House of Representatives will be voting on medical cannabis. Get BUSY and contact your reps ! Just flood those reps with your message! WE NEED MMJ! Click this link and write in! [​IMG]
    http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/cgi-bin/newseek.cgi?site=ctc&state=nj

Here's an article about it!

http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=e7426239-d421-4758-a719-e64923846c7c

House to vote on medicinal marijuana

By TOM FAHEY
    State House Bureau Chief
    1 hour, 48 minutes ago

Concord – A bill allowing severely ill patients to grow and use marijuana for medicinal purposes has won a 13-7 vote in the House Health and Human Services committee.

HB 648 heads to the full House for a vote next week. Two Republicans joined the Democratic majority in voting for the bill.

The only legal way for patients to get marijuana under the bill is to be certified by a doctor, and then to grow it themselves. They are allowed to have a limit of six plants and two ounces of marijuana in their possession. Patients must be 18 or older and have no felony convictions in their past.

Thirteen other states have medical marijuana bills on the books.

Those in favor of the bill said it offers hope to those who are suffering a debilitating chronic or terminal illnesses. In many cases treatments for illnesses like cancer or HIV, create nausea that weakens patients at a time when they need strength to survive. Proponents say it eases pain and can increase appetite in ways that manufactured drugs cannot.

Opponents said the bill runs counter to federal law and represents the beginning of what will become the unwinding of state drug laws. It is opposed by law enforcement, including the New Hampshire Association of Chiefs of Police.

Rep. Roger Wells, R-Hampstead, who voted to recommend the bill, said: “This is truly a matter of compassion. People who are suffering, at least in our state of New Hampshire, ought not to be called criminals."

Rep. Peter Batula, R-Merrimack, argued the committee acted against the best advice of national drug experts.

“There is no right way to do the wrong thing,” he said.

For full coverage, see tomorrow's New Hampshire Union Leader.

Please feel free to use studies from my list to make your point! How can anything that can generate titles like "MARIJUANA SLOWS ALZHEIMER'S DECLINE" or "Cannabis Compound May Stop Metastatic Breast Cancer" or "Chemicals in Marijuana May Fight MRSA" remain illegal? (for the studies, click the link in my sig) And you might mention that recent polls show somewhere between 65 and 95% of the American public (VOTERS!) support medical cannabis.

Well, don't just sit there. Make NJ our next MMJ state! Your email or call may be the one that sways that last needed vote! And while you are emailing- why not get your friends to write in too! Make it "snowball"!

Granny [​IMG] (legal Cali MMJ user)

2. Whoopsie!

\t\t\t \t\t\tI could swear the site I saw the link on, said New Jersey in the teaser for the link and now I can't find it! [​IMG]

Well, kids, I stand corrected! I think what happened is they goofed and I copied without checking and had New Jersey on my mind because of what's below. [​IMG] MY BAD! And then they caught their mistake. Shoot, now I gotta go around and correct things! Dang- and here I was trying to get you all to think I was perfect! [​IMG]

But it is STILL the right advice no matter what state you are in! All of you should have your state politicians emails bookmarked!

OK, HERE'S New Jersey's news-

http://www.strausnews.com/articles/2...ger/news/9.txt

West Milford Messenger > News
    Updated: March 12, 2009

State senate approves medical marijuana bill

Chronically ill New Jerseyans could alleviate their suffering legally by smoking marijuana under a bill passed last week by the state Senate.

The proposal by Sen. Nicholas Scutari, D-Linden, would allow patients with certain chronic and terminal illnesses to grow six marijuana plants or have marijuana grown for them at an authorized treatment center.

“If medical marijuana can ease some of the suffering of a patient who's dying from a chronic, severe, or terminal disease, state government should not stand in the way of that relief,” Scutari said after the vote.

The 22-16 Senate vote marked the first time the bill had advanced in the Legislature. It now goes to the New Jersey Assembly, where its fate is uncertain.

State Senator Joseph Pennacchio, who represents West Milford, voted in favor of the bill.

If the proposal becomes law, New Jersey would become the 14th state to allow medical marijuana.

Advocates say medicinal marijuana has been shown to alleviate pain and nausea in patients suffering from cancer, glaucoma, multiple sclerosis, AIDS, and HIV when other drugs fail.

“For the sake of our most vulnerable, our sick and dying patients struggling for relief, now is the time for New Jersey to join the growing list of states allowing compassionate use of medical marijuana,” said Roseanne Scotti of the Drug Policy Alliance, a group that supports the bill.

Critics say the bill would promote illegal drug use.

Sen. Gerald Cardinale, R-Cresskill, said he opposed it because of unanswered questions about how authorities would oversee marijuana growing inside patients' homes.

Most of the states that allow it have done so through ballot referendums. In New Jersey, the law must be changed by the Legislature.

States where medical marijuana is legal are: Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington. Only Hawaii, Vermont, Rhode Island, and New Mexico legislatures passed bills to legalize medical marijuana; the other states did so through referendum.

\t

Scotti said in New Jersey, polls show residents support the legislation by numbers as high as 86 percent.

During a 2006 hearing on the bill, celebrity Montel Williams told New Jersey lawmakers that marijuana helps alleviate chronic knee and foot pain brought on by multiple sclerosis. Williams is a registered medical marijuana user in California.
    \t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t\t__________________

3. wow if this happens, it would mean that jersey would be good for something

4. When is it gonna go through the House?

5. im not sure anyone knows yet man, this suspence is killing me too.

6. Let's do this guys, go nj go!

7. Shit, probably not anytime soon then.

8. It's pretty sad that none of the stoners are in this section even bother trying to help at all, damn you all, can't you stoned kids do something about prohibition. When they took away alcohol from raging drunks they made more of an effort(maybe).
    Anyway now that I'm done with that venting, I would really like to see NJ get MMJ, I have friends out there and my dad lives there he could definatly benefit from this

9. LOL i know, You cant even have headshops here, you gotta go to NYC or PA

10. what? theres a headshop 10 mins from my house in long branch

11. Whats the name of it?

12. Wow.. another state? wicked! First Cali, Massachusetts and now New Jersey. This is a great step forward. I hope this leads to a domino effect on all the other states.

:hello:

13. Oh other states will follow with similar bill proposals. Just how CA proposed a full legalization bill and other states are sure to follow even though those will probably be rejected the first times. Btw is there a link to somewhere that has a prewritten email that automatically sends to state reps?

14. anyone know of rallies or protests coming up in the Garden State?
    I want to get involved that way

15. I asked this in another thread, but it's certainly relevant. Whats the time differential from when cali got medical and cali got legal carrying?

16. Thats a good 45 minute drive, down the parkway haha, but i will check it out

17. i dont think u will be dissapointed, its a rather small store but they have a good selection of bongs and prob a few hundred little bowls almost all their invintory is glass.

18. there's a good store if you go the the tri-state. Its on seward street in port jervis NY, right over the NJ/PA border, its a little corner store with a crapload of cigarette ad's outside, everything in there is cool, no pricing's, all haggle. No name brands though. Its pretty cheap.

19. You gotta be like on your death bed to get legal weed in jersey ha