New Jersey Closer to Sales of Medical Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by garrison68, Dec 5, 2010.

1. December 3, 2010
    New York Times

New Jersey Closer to Sales of Medical Marijuana

By ANEMONA HARTOCOLLIS

A standoff between Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey and advocates for medical marijuana has ended in a compromise that could put marijuana on the market for seriously ill patients by next summer.

The new regulations, announced on Friday, would provide for six growing and distribution sites for medical marijuana in various parts of the state. The governor had wanted to limit the number of growers to two and distribution sites to four.

But among the states that allow it, New Jersey would become the only one to limit the amount of psychotropic chemical permitted in the marijuana.

While the Christie administration had pushed to require qualifying patients to exhaust all other treatments before receiving medical marijuana, the compromise applies that restriction to only three nonfatal conditions: seizures, glaucoma and intractable muscle spasms.

Mr. Christie hailed the compromise as “the best way to move forward on a responsible, medically based program that will avoid the significant fraud and criminal diversion that other states have experienced.”

Gov. Jon S. Corzine signed New Jersey’s medical marijuana law as he was leaving office in January, making New Jersey the 14th state to legalize the treatment. New York and Connecticut have not.

Since then, Mr. Christie, who was skeptical of the legalization, has been haggling with lawmakers and advocates over the particulars of how to carry out the law.

Advocates of medical marijuana complained on Friday that despite the compromise, the regulations continued to discourage access to the drug: by forbidding home cultivation or delivery, and by requiring doctors to be registered and to take a training course before they could certify patients for treatment.

Ken Wolski, a registered nurse and chief executive officer of the Coalition for Medical Marijuana New Jersey, complained that doctors also had to “attest that they’ve provided education for the patients on the lack of scientific consensus for the use of medical marijuana.”

“What kind of statement is that?” Mr. Wolski said. “The act found legitimate uses for marijuana therapy in a number of specified conditions.”

Patients with a number of conditions would have access to two ounces a month with a potency of 10 percent tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the psychotropic chemical. Mr. Wolski estimated that two ounces would be enough for half of all patients, and he said pharmacies in the Netherlands distributed potencies of 13 percent and 18 percent THC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/04/nyregion/04marijuana.html

2. sucks that the new york times is reporting about new jerseys medical law because new york is too dumb to pass their own

I hate our state (NY)

christie is an ass, 10% THC restrictions is crap.

3. I hate chrstie so much he's fucking it up for everyone

4. No body's going to get medical if its shit.. then is it going to make it seem like medical mj isn't worth it? :confused:

5. This is exactly what Christie wanted. He was against the bill from day one and essentially killed it.

6. Christie is an asshole.This will just end up with sick people with a medical card getting higher thc marijuana from the street and essientialy making Medical Marijuana not look like a good medical alternative since you might be getting less of what you would need to really help.

7. QFT

And he's essentially killing the law right now. This is his game: Propose ridiculous regulations, wait for public uproar, "compromise" then propose new ridiculous regulations.

8. rest easy fellas, there revising the laws once again. Hopefully getting rid of the 10% thc cap. Fuck the pharmecuticals let us smoke our herbals! Smoke heavy my fellow jersey smokers!

9. do you have a link to where you heard that? ive been keeping a close track, but I havent heard that they were considering removing the % cap. if they do im moving from harlem to jersey.

10. So aids and cancer patients dont qualify and you cant only get shit weed. Why the hell would you compromise to that? I mean I guess its a step in the right direction but really seems like a bigger waste of time. Well congrats to the few people that qualify and don't mind paying dispensary price for low quality bud. :confused:

11. So let me get this straight, aids and cancer patients have access to massive doses of pharmaceutical opiods like MS-Contin and Hydrmorphone so strong that they could make you overdose in a heartbeat, and sell on the street for $1000's of dollars. Yet Marijuana is just too powerful? Why does the war on drugs have to hurt the sick and dieing? This is just so sick.