New info about 2012 prophecy.

Discussion in 'General' started by KingOfKong, Jul 2, 2012.

1. So I saw a new article about a recent discovery in Guatemala that sheds some new light on the 2012 prophecy.

http://news.discovery.com/history/maya-long-count-calendar-end-date-120629.html#mkcpgn=fbdsc17

It looks like the 2012 prophecy was used by an ancient Mayan king that lost a battle to make himself seem more awesome. The discovery does indeed confirm that the calendar will end on that date, but not in a total destructive end, it just starts over.

Of course, anybody that's done research will have known that already. Still, it's an interesting article and it's only the second archeological discovery that actually gives information about that famous date.

However, the ancient alien guy in me wonders if maybe there is a huge meteor charging at Earth or an imminent alien invasion and the government releases stories like this to keep people from freaking out and causing chaos.

2. if 2012 the world wont end, I wont believe any of these dates anymore.

3. isn't it also when the earth, sun and galactic core all line up perfectly?

I thought that was the crazy part... ancient people knowing about the galaxy and all that

4. No ancient civilization ever implied it was the "end of the world". The media completely blew up the prophecies out of proportion.

1. Yes

2. They figured out more about astronomy with their technology than we did with all our satellites and computers and what not.

5. Things like this only work because people have no idea what "independent scholarship" means or what it entails.

If someone tells you the world is going to end because of something some ancient society says, it takes one simple "thought" to disprove it.

Does this society believe in or understand the concept of "end of the world"

Nope

The Mayans did believe in the concept of "end of the world"

Therefore this prophecy is a misinterpretation

6. Technically the "end of the world" already happened because the Mayans didn't have a leap year. That extra day every 4 years over all this time throws it off quite a bit. We already past the technical date of the end of the world.

7. the calenders apparently ended and started again every 100 years anyway
    i.e 1600, 1700, 1800, 1900, 2000 ....

8. you cant understand the concept of "end of the world"?

9. Their calendar does NOT have to account for leap years. We're the ones who transcribed their date, in their symbology, into our Gregorian calendar. The leap years are already accounted for.

Even though I don't buy into this Mayan prophecy stuff, this recent argument about leap years is seriously one of the most stupid one's people have put forth yet. The Mayan long count calendar was NOT a solar calendar. Solar calendars need leap years.

The Mayan long count calendar still resets on 21 December 2012.

10. thats just wrong, they were obviously highly advanced for their time, but you cant say they knew more, when we now have huge telescopes on earth and satellites in space taking pictures and sending them back.

11. How about everyone shuts the fuck up and well cross that bridge when we come to it?

12. this topic is like herps that wont go away

13. maybe they got bored and thought lets stop it here and see if anyone notices

14. For real every dam day there's a new thread about this shit.

15. it will go away after december 21'st.

herpes on the other hand wont.. [​IMG]

16. Been screaming this for years. It never said the world ended. Must've put people off the way I acted like alex jones!

17. We should keep records of all the peopl that proclaim the world will end and on the 22 punch them all in the face.

18. Is this still a thing??