new idea, will it work???

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by richirich_99, Nov 6, 2008.

1. hey everyone. So i just got back from lowes, and while i was getting a few things, and looking around, i came across some 50 and 100 watt hps bulbs that screw into normal sockets....I made sure by taking one out of the bag and trying it in an outlet. So my question is how much better would my plants flower if i changed out my 8 26 watt cfls 3000k to two 100 watt hps bulbs? also how much heat would two of these put off. also anyone know if it would blow anything if it were to be used in a normal socket? If these will work better, i may just modify my light once more. Thanks guys!!!

oh also heres what im growing in:
    Its a cab thats 24"wX70"hX16 1/2"d

I have it in two areas, the top is the flower and its 48" high. I have a 200 watt cfm fan for my exhaust and passive intakes. my temps currently stay between 72-82 with the lights on, depending on how cold it is inside my apartment, and between 68-72 with lights off.

Im currently getting a SOG going, about to put the first 4 in rotation in the flower area as soon as i pull out my 4 that will be done next week. :smoking::smoking:

2. Just because the threads fit an incandescent lamp socket does not mean the bulb will light. HPS and MH lamps (bulbs) all require a ballast and HPS needs a starter. You can also buy those parts at the home improvement store and wire up your own HPS lamp.

3. thanks oldskool, i wasnt sure if it would even work or not, thats why i asked, i was hoping to not have to buy anything more than the bulbs, for the time being i will stick with my cfls, but maybe down the road i will remodel my lights and do a small watt hps. how much of a difference in yeild do you think changing from cfl's to hps would make? even if i only use 200 watts of hps?

4. hps cannot be run in a normal socket it requires a special ballast, there is not special integrated ballast hps.. it just cant be done sorry dude...

5. thanks guys. i didnt know if it would actually light up, i just screwed it into a socket, but it had no power, i was just tring to see if it fit. im slowly starting to think about getting a small hps for my flower area in my sog cab.

6. why wouldn't they be able to produce a small hps bulb with the ballast/condenser built right in? they did it with cfl's. dont see why not with hps if theres a market for it