New hydro grower needs help

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Esteban18, Nov 12, 2010.

1. What's up so here si the story. I've done some outdoor grows in the past and they were great but not that its getting cool and everything I wanted to try out hydro grow. I've been reading around and have seen all the other methods on how to like the dwc, bubble, ebb and flow. Well Now here is that hard part of picking which system I wanna run with. So My plans are to do it in a spare closet that I have in the house its not that big but big enough is 3 feet wide 12 feet long and about a good 8 feet high, And plan on going maybe 6 plants. Now what I need helps with what system is the best way to go with this i wanna maybe go wtih the ebb and flow and just have 2 flood trays and each have there own reservoir and just have 3 plants on each tray. Let me know what you guys think and what I should go with.

2. with hydro... i'd never use anything less than a 5 gallon bucket... the roots will be all over the place, unless your doing a shorty auto flower....

I like the hydrofarm... make your own or purchase a kit... it uses little or no pressure on the fittings... and maybe put your light on a rail this way you only need one light...

or get some t5 lights....

3. Well What I am comfused about on the ebb and flow system is with the tray what do you do about the root since there on a tray, do they needs there need to be a cover and then the net pots sit on top and so the lid cover the root?

4. id look at that video on youtube. It was what helped me get started and it sounds like you got the same dimensions as his rooms [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avipzVVmpL8]YouTube - I GROW CHRONIC - PART 1 (legendado)[/ame]

5. Yeah I've seen his vdieos and they have help my knowledge of hydro a little better. What I dont get all the way yet is the flood table with the net pots. I have a little temp flood table right now for my seeds and plan on moving them to a bigger table. But do I let the roots grow into t he table with all the hydroponic balls?

6. heres what i think...as long as light doesnt hit the roots ur good. u dont need the net pots. i use them at first in a drip and put 4inch rockwool in them just to keep the plants from sitting in water cuz i dont have the 60 dollar planter i cut totes in half and use those with a 20 gallon tote underneath with 5 gallons of water as my res. If u had ur plants in 1 inch blocks u could put them in net pots with the hydroton in place of the 4 inch blocks. and that would be good too ur trying to support the root mass is all. So whatever is easiest is the way to go. if u keep it simple its alot less of a headache.

7. Ok the set up i have right now running for my seed are a Plastic container that have the fill and drain plug, with the hydroponic rocks about 2 inchs off the both and than cover the bottom of the net pots. This Friday I'm going to get a bigger tray for my plants and try to see if i can get a cover so it can cover the hydroponic balls and have the net pot sitting on the top which i will cut and make sure the net pot fit perfect into the top. Would that be ok to run?

8. Have you ever heard of a raft system. Fill your resivor rubbermaid tub of choice with solution an inch from the top or so. Cut a piece of styrofoam insulation board to be just a little smaller than the top of the resivor so it can sit and float on top of the solution. Cut year holes in the styrofoam raft for ur netpots to sit in. Once your plants are rooted in a rockwool cube you can place them in the pots in hydroton and the rockwool always stays wet. The "raft" floats on the solution so ur roots are always in water. Keep like 3 or 4 good size airstones in the res! Tried this once with one plant, its a pretty cool concept. The Mayans or Aztecs or incas (can't remember which one)used to grow floating gardens with this same idea. I would go 5 gal dwc buckets personally. Good luck.

9. with a lid ur more dwc or aero even. Which is fine but make sure ur seeds are girls otherwise its gonna be a real bitch cuz the roots grow together. If this is how u plan to go i would put them in some homer buckets or whatever u can get and the lid for the 5 gallons are like five bucks i believe.but if they are all in their own buckets if one gets sick its just one not all of them. I seen a raft made out of foam once seems to work good too,but never done it myself.