New High Times Article - harvest earlier?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by indic4, Jan 16, 2011.

1. can you post some info that possibly shows the contradictions?

2. #22 rex8000, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2011
    :eek:

Sounds reasonable, since the longer you push it the more the ratio of THC shifts towards CBNs and CBDs.

3. ^^Bingo! This is how I knew when to harvest my plant. Sometimes you can't do everything "by the book". Although I still consider myself a beginner, I have a tiny bit of advice for other new growers. Treat your plants the way you would want to be treated...as an individual. You can't always expect a plant to grow like it says in the books.

Leading up to the day I chopped my plant down (yesterday), I was checking my trichs with my magnifier, and watching for all my leaves to shrivel up and die. I never noticed many amber trichs, just some clear and some cloudy ones. Also, almost none of my leaves died. Only the tips of my leaves turned brown and curled a bit. It was taking a clip of a couple of small buds, and quick drying them to smoke, that clued me in that it was time to cut my plant down. What little I clipped gave me a helluva a buzz. I can't wait to try a bud from the top of the plant. :smoke:

In a nutshell, I say apply expert advice where it's necessary, but don't be afraid to second guess them, and do your own thing too. That's the best way to learn, imo.

4. anymore opinions on this?

5. awsome post fencewalker i also posted this article under the post trichome heads and it only started lots of arguments im glad i could find peace of mind on this post with some science fact thank you and did u write that or find it????

6. so we all agree this is common knowledge already? why are we acting like this is new information?

7. Step over to my article on this is called trichome heads people r arguing like their is no tomorrow but I posted three times so u have to find the right one

8. Just check the beginner stickies (scroll down to the trichome pictures)...I've seen this over and over again...don't harvest before cloudy trichomes, and possibly until 50/50 cloudy/dark with NO clear. I guess it depends how you define "common knowledge."

That said, just because THC is highest while clear doesn't mean the high is best while clear...

9. thanx for posting that link it has the missing picture to the LST forum ive been reading haha

10. good stuff here guys..i have been doin' it this way a while..well...not harvesting completely clear...but 25 percent cloudy.....alot of us do this and now i just know the correct reason why:smoke:

11. Deacon - when you harvest a primarily indica strain, does it still give you a nice indica style body high even though the trichs are only 25% milky?

12. hey roughly how long are you into flowering when you chop them then?

6 weeks?

13. yaeh..a sativas still a sativa and an indica is......it just tweak the buzz in one direction or the other...but i think harvesting early cloudy makes for a more up high than amber for sure

i dont really count weeks..just when they strat lookin' ready i check trichs every couple days.....at first i would take samples at cloudy...50/50 and harvest at 25/75 amber..as that what "they" said to do..but im a do it for myself to see for myself guy and this works best for me but every day i learn so much more:smoke:

14. i see, the problem is, lets say one start flowering approx for a mere 35 days under HID and has tested his crop and loves the effect it gives...

yes he shits you not, 35 days into flower...

should he just chop it down as it suits his needs, or will it be a waste of potential weight?

at this point he wouldnt trade weight for a nasty couch lock narcotic high...

:confused:

15. nothin is ready at 35 days. thats not an early pluck....thats premature.

16. that depends..if its a cash crop..go weight and couchlock..alot of people equate couchlock with superior buds..but for personal stash..i harvest where it does me the most good:D...hence..blending multi strains to taylor the buzz to you..a little sativa...some hybred..a dash of indica...i hit on 1 tonight:Dripped

i agree..but for the sake of the point hes makin'..and if there are..get me some..10 harvest a year..more with clones:hello:

17. Was the research only on "THC" ?

Is so its totally invalid IMO.... The Cb's are just as , If not more important.. so basing harvest off only THC wouldnt always be best right?

18. From my experience I find that harvesting at majority cloudy is the best overall. When most are clear, the bud is never fully developed in size.

Never would wait til over 25% amber.

19. Ya, I believe the research was to find THC content only but I can't say 100% since they only reference the research in the article.

20. You may be interested in this that was recently released. I posted it earlier. On topic to this and many other things... http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-marijuana-busin...

Stevia Corp. Unveils 30 Years of Dr. Paul Mahlberg's Ground Breaking Cannabis Research
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/stevia-cor...