New here. Help me design my grow cabinet please

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by jay420bone69, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have a lot of questions.   I've been smoking for a while now and decided its finally time to start growing my own happiness.  I was paying 20/g and I could have been smoking garbage for all I know. 

I got my hands on a 3' wide  X  6' high  X  18" deep....  double door, metal cabinet which I want to set up inside of a walk in closet (I live in an apartment so a) space is tight and b) need to be super discreet. 

What are my best options as to setting up the cabinet?

Should I seperate into 2 growing cycle areas and if so, how big does each need to be?

How many plants should / could I grow (keep in mind this is my first harvest)?   I'll be purchasing 10 seeds from dutchseedsbank.com.  (white widow femized & strawberry haze feminized).   Anyone know anything about them? 

I plan on installing fans / vents / carbon filters, etc. as I need to keep the smell down as well.   Any recommendations to makes / models / sizes / etc. ? 

I have been reading nonstop about growing for the last week and I think I got the basics down.   I've got a turf science degree so I feel I have a leg up on your average Joe Schmo.  I plan on using a bunch of CFL's for this.  Yes I know I can use HID's or stadium quality bulbs, but I want to keep it basic for my first time.  I'm concerned about power usage and also want to keep it SAFE (have pet animals to worry about too)

Thank you all in advance for your help and time! 

2. I'd split it up about 30/70 with the seed starting and early vegging chamber in the bottom.  Then do the flower chamber in the top half.  You'll want more light (and redder) for the flowering chamber and those need to be movable so you can keep the lights as close as you can.

How light and air tight is that cabinet?

3. Light as in weight?? I'd say it's about 30 lbs total. I'm going to insulate the entire insides with mylar so I'm guessing it will be pretty air tight. (Does air pass through mylar??)I was thinking of dividing the closet into 3. The very "top section" about 10" where I can install a vent fan to suck the air from up above. The "middle section" which will be the flowering section. And the "lower section" for vegging stage.What's a good height to make the different sections assuming its a 6' cabinet?I really don't "need" the very top with the fan I guess. I could always just install it on top of the cabinet I suppose as it's going to be tucked in a walk in closet and not visible. Don't really care what it looks like.

4. air does not pass through mylar, but at the seams it will. The vent is a great idea. My biggest issue with grow rooms is always minimizing heat.

5. built this right here from scratch

Attached Files:

6. #6 DubK420, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2014
    I think there are too many variables between individual grows for your answer to be answered definitively, but what I can tell you for sure is this: give your plants more room than you think they need. I have a similar sized cabinet, just not as tall. I have 2 plants growing and I am having to build another box to give them the room they need. "Super discreet" will require solid odor control as well as containing as much equipment inside with your plants as you can (again, think more space than you would need). Expect cost to be more than anticipated too, so you're not shorting yourself on things you need. Other than that, all I can say is that your first grow will teach you the most out of any, so absorb that knowledge. Keep a journal and write every detail in it if you have the motivation to do so. It will help you help yourself. Good luck to you!

7. Does anyone know what could be wrong with one of my plants? One looks healthy and the other looks kind of wilted. They were planted on Feb 6 ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1392734986.495224.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1392735015.615179.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. We were just talking about this very same thing...

Yup. You got it. You might have to buy a few tools. But you would still come in way under budget, have an ultra cool setup and would be able to say you did it your self. And if you didn't like the way something turned out....Sell it for $1000, and start over. Of course you could still do the tent...but you wouldn't be able to fit a 4x4 through a doorway. And you could build two of these, under budget have a clone chamber, a veg chamber with scrog, a flower chamber and do either soil or hydro and have a room for all of it in two steel lockable cabinets that you could move into another room. And you could probably get away with a 400watt in each instead of the 600watt unit. I'd like some others to chime in, cause I'm a noob at growing....But I can put shit together like a champ.

http://www.amazon.co...seville cabinet x2 equals $600

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=cooltube x2 $400

http://www.amazon.co...crubber and fan x2 $300

http://www.lowes.com...7611-_-10935405 $40.00

So these are two complete setups for $1300 roughly, then add another couple of hundred for buckets, medium pumps filters hoses nutes, and still be able to adjust or go whatever route you wanted.

But you only need 1 of each.