New Here, First Grow, Progress With Pics.

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Gary147852, Apr 22, 2016.

1. That's New Zealand peat moss for reptiles and orchids, not Canadian sphagnum for veggies/cannabis. And why'd you rip the "overwatered" seedling out?

"The world is in your hands,
    Mine are in the dirt."

• Like Like x 1
  2. #22 Gary147852, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    These are trichomes spitting out of the vegetation.
    Sphagnum Moss, not coco or soil.

No, it's sphagnum moss. www.mosserlee.com/page/What_Is_Sphagnum_Moss.aspx

[​IMG]

And I ripped it out because it flopped over, if you look closely at the photo you can see where the stem is very narrow in one section(where it intersected with the grow medium).

- Aristocrat

3. Also... transplanted seedling b to a smaller container, as I read too large of a pot can lead to overwatered. Also, replaced the humidity dome bevause the leaves were starting to crisp on the ends. Also the second set of leaves has started to grow in. I also germinated another seed.

[​IMG]

- Aristocrat

4. #24 CarterCannabis, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Lol... Right. New Zealand sphagnum. Not Canadian peat moss...

There's a huge difference. I promise I wouldn't be messing with you. I was a manager at a pet shop for 6 years and that stuff you're using is for tree frogs my dude. When I first started growing and I worked there, I thought this was the right stuff too... Lol.

Canadian sphagnum peat moss (for cannabis); [​IMG]

New Zealand sphagnum peat moss (for frogs and orchids);
    [​IMG]

The moss you are using will start to break down and decompose thus hindering your plants. In the decomposition process, any nutrients you're using will be used for the breakdown of moss, rather than your plant. This process will also make your medium super acidic.. And these problems aren't mentioning the mold/fungus you could be growing.

I would pick up a trusted medium like fox farms and such if you want to grow soil. It's formulated for cannabis. If you want to grow organic (and maybe got confused on the moss) I would start from scratch and visit the no-till organic thread.

No-Till Gardening: Revisited

Mine are in the dirt."

• Like Like x 1
  5. That skinny at the stem base is from an infection, not due to water issues (unless there's funk in your water).

Mine are in the dirt."

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aaahhhh!!!!!!! Why does the Internet have to be so self contractory, I won't name any names but I was lurking on another popular forum and read that sphagnum was superior to peat....... I guess that's why I'm HERE, for guidance.

- Aristocrat

• Like Like x 1
  7. I used distilled water only.

- Aristocrat

• Like Like x 1
  8. Really? I mean maybe some people grow in it exclusively, but I could only see it being beneficial maybe to a top layer of soil in a no-till setup.. I think you'll have MUCH better luck changing things out. Probably much less stress and worry and wonder as well. Formulated soils are amazing, plant, water, good to go. All of this is about learning, and if you aren't learning, you aren't progressing. So no worries man! Learn and move forward.

I'm thinking there could have been something funky in that moss then. Distilled won't do that alone for sure, considering its theoretically at 0 ppm too, lol.

Mine are in the dirt."

9. I really need a soil/mixture that I can acquire locally.

318 area code

- Aristocrat

10. Look up hydroponic stores in your area. Find you some happy frog or ocean forest, cut it 25-50% with perlite and you're good to go.

Mine are in the dirt."

11. Looks like there was one but it's closed down now.[​IMG]

- Aristocrat

12. Fox Farm Ocean Forest | eBay

And you should be able to find a non fertilized perlite at your local Home Depot.

Mine are in the dirt."

13. Hi,

Well I can assure you , those ain't no trichomes. You won't get to see them until flowering. So my guess is your plant is sick/infected.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

14. Those are most certainly trichomes.. Bulbous trichomes appear during vegetation, and even from seedling. I'm growing one out now that had trichs like this one does. I verified by using a 15 X professional macro photography lens. Then I did some research on trichomes, and there's a few different types that appear during its lifespan.

Edit: but there's no doubt that plant is/was sick. Lol

Mine are in the dirt."

15. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]I started a new seedling. I have a question... out side my house I have a flower bed that i planted, bought miracle grow, and the plants got really tall and unruly so I Just Kinda Left It Alone And Now i cut it like I normally do my grass with the lawn mower, grass and little flowers grow there bow, lots of leaves pile up in the winter and there's still leaf particles in this, it's been going on like this for about 3 years now... how safe could this be to use even if temporarily?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    - Aristocrat

16. #36 CarterCannabis, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Why would you start a new seedling in the same medium that's been giving you problems...? We can't help if you don't want help nor take advice.

If you want to use native soil, what you're describing sounds like it could be composted. If it is, you could mix it with real Canadian sphagnum peat moss and aeration like rice hulls or perlite.. You don't want to use the dirt with leafs as this is decomposing (much like your moss you're growing in) and it'll become super acidic while sucking nutrients out of the soil.

Mine are in the dirt."

• Like Like x 1
  17. I started it as an experiment to monitor the changes as I only change one variable at a time, which in this case is the watering amount, I've got plenty of seeds.

- Aristocrat

18. So treat this as an experiment, see watering isn't your issue and see its your medium and change that.

I'm all for experiments and learning but I don't know why you would put more seeds in that moss knowing it's no good (many other options for medium) and they'll probably die..

That's just me, good luck man.

Mine are in the dirt."

• Like Like x 2
  19. UPDATES!!!!!!!

Ok so I germinated 2 more seeds, so I now have 3 babies going, I made a 50/50 mix of the compost from my house and the moss, and 100% compost... both seeds have started to rise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also the moss only plant is looking beautiful...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How everyone is sitting.

[​IMG]
    - Aristocrat

20. The plant I started in the sphagnum moss started to exhibit the same behaviors around the same time(yellowing) even after I change the watering habits.[​IMG] So I transplanted it to my compost mix.[​IMG] Yellowing halted. On to the 2 new seeds I germinated, the compost mix seedling is doing well, very well,[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] the compost only seedling never came out of the ground.[​IMG]

- Aristocrat