New here-1st time grower

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ganjagrrl, May 28, 2002.

1. Hi everyone- glad I found this site. I live in an extremely DRY area (much to my chagrin)-haven't had a smoke in going on a month now. Believe me, it sucks.
    To get to the point, I decided to take matters into my own hands and ordered some seeds (SuperSilverHaze) a few days ago. My question is, I'm kinda confused on what type of lighting system I should use. I'll be growing them inside of a fairly small closet. Some people say fluorescents are OK (not as good as an HPS, though). But, it doesn't seem like I'll be getting enough lumens from a fluor. system. I'd love to just go out and by the HPS but money is a big factor. If I do go w/ a fluor. system, how many ballasts will do the job, for say, 10 plants? It just seems like I'll have to hang 5 of them to get the wattage of 1 hps or mh. Will I get any growth with a fluor. or will I just be wasting my time? I hope someone can help me! If the above post didn't make sense, please take into consideration the marijuana deprivation I've been experiencing!

2. Welcome to the city!

I think all of your questions can be answered in the grow forums. Got some people there that know how to do the herb. Plus a lot of weirdness going on in the other forums, 'dis is a cool place to hang around!

See ya round the boards!

3. What I did was "aquire" a huge sodium light from a local
    government building. now my nursery is like a tanning salon.

4. welcome to the wonderful world o bud!!!

Silver Haze...hmmm. Loves to grow tall but does not generally produce alot of bud. The bud it does produce should be quite potent though. I know money can be a big factor when putting together a lighting system. All I can say is try and get a bigger better system. The rewards are huge and the disappointments are few. Good luck.

5. couldn't agree more! In the long haul HPS actually will work out cheaper! And the results will be good.
    good luck
    ps. welcome!