new guy test tun on bag seed FAILED! pics

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by topsykrets, Mar 20, 2009.

1. #1 topsykrets, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2009
    Light: 4 bulb t12 6500k daylight 40watt lamp on these running 18/6
    light distance; about 4-5 inches. sitting ontop of humidity dome
    variety: unknown (bag seed from "blueberry something or other")
    Medium: Rockwool cubes (double stacked)
    Enviroment: humidity dome closed for higher humidity
    water: ph6.5, reversed osmosis filtered
    Humidity: 75-85% that was as high as I could get it
    age; 5-6 days
    watering; soaked rockwool cubes for 3 hours, then watered again on day 3 at the first sign of browning of cotyledon. water ph was balanced the prior day then allowed to sit and balanced again

temperature: this is the tricky part
    on the pearlite bed: 89f
    on the first cube: 85f
    on the second cube at plant level 78f

germination taproot at 1 inch, (this is probably too long?)
    is rockwool a bad medium if I plan to grow in soil?

notes.....
    the cotyledon or first sprout leaves started to die and turn brown.
    the serrated or real leaves turned slightly yellow at the tips and progressed slowly through the tips as the days went on the leaves started getting brown spots on them.
    sprout on left leaves pointed up. plant on right stock was very crooked.
    also plant on left had a very purple stock.

I took several pictures but quality lacks

Attached Files:

2. Hey bud pH of 6.5 in hydro/rockwool is no good.
    It should be closer to 5.5. That's your first problem.

Second is temps are too high.

3. 5.5ph check!

temp on the pearlite bed?
    temp on the top of the first cube
    temp on top of the second cube?

how frequently should I water seedlings?

4. My guess 72 degrees for all.
    Can't help you bud never grown Rockwool sorry.

5. 72f for all???? Im on a temp controled heat mat. the closer to the mat the warmer it will be

6. #6 Usual_suspect, Mar 21, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
    High there, I only put clones in rock wool. I grow in soil and start the seeds right off in the dirt.

Also I find seedlings do not need a dome, infact they need very little.

Good luck

7. #7 topsykrets, Mar 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2009
    so if I make the soil temp at 72f, will it hurt the babies to be in my basement that is 65f?
    and what should my water ph be if i use foxfarm OF? 6.5 or still use the 5.5ph?

8. For pH use 5.5. For temps I wish there were more rocwool guys around here to help. However, I do know growing hydro, a water temp of 72 degrees F is perfect.

9. I think you have two problems here. First, the 89 degree temp is too high, and it is causing the leaves to curl. The only real temp that you need to worry about is the temp at the top of the plant. You need to get it down. Even if gets down to 65-70 at night, it will be fine. The second problem is overwatering. It will also cause the leaves to curl. It is easy to overwater rockwool, and it cuts off the oxygen supply if it stays wet. Let it dry out some and crack the lid to your dome. They can start being exposed to the world outside the dome.

10. what should the humidity levels be at? I read in Jorge cervantes book, that humidity should be at 95% for seedlings....

11. seeds do not need 95% humidity to grow, actually another poster just stated the fact, they need very little and he utilizes rock wool for clones, about same method as me :p have great results, lower the humidity to about 70% by removing the dome, sounds like they are getting drownded, then baked inside the dome with the high heat,