New growth turning black.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by bmerboy, Jul 15, 2009.

1. I'll post pics later when I'm off work but here's what I know. The soil is just native soil it's an outdoor grow. It's just a bagseed so I don't know the strain. If it don't rain I water every 2-3 days. It gets light basicaly all day. The problem is that when you look at the new leaf sites the centers of them are all black. I noticed it on the top then after closer inspection it's on all the new growths. Any advice what it might be.

2. couple pics help please

Attached Files:

3. If it's only on new growth, I would tend to think it's a nutrient def, necrosis, brown/black is usually a tracel element problem. Mg, Cu, Mn. I'd flush the soil as best as possible, and add nutrients.

4. I have the same problem. I flushed today and will flush again good in a day or two and then go with some good nutrients. I was thinking it was some sort of element problem also. I have my fingers crossed. Bmerboy let me know if you have any positive results and I will do the same. It's really frustrating so the sooner the problem get's solved the better!. Good Luck!

5. ok well as far as flushing goes we had a gully washer last night so im ganna count that as a flush. a few weeks ago i used a small amount of epsom salt for mg so i dont think it would be that. ill se what happens and let ya know

6. I added epsom salt when I flushed them last night also, have you noticed that your stalks and stems have turned or are turning a dark purple?. Just was noticing that this morning. I'm going to add my nutes tonight which are 10*5*14 and hopefuly get them turned around. I'll let ya know also what happens.

7. ive been working and havin gotten to look at my plants

8. so i went and checked my plants today and the one turning black is turning more. i gave it a light dose of maricle grow nutes.

9. no i havent noticed the stem turning yet ill watch for it though

10. i have the same problem any ideas at what it could be?

11. i think its just a black strain but idk. it was a male so i pulled it up

12. I believe you have a fungus of sorts ...."Damping off disease"

this name covers many types of airborne fungus that all seem to produce the same outcome on plants
    Neem Oil works on this.... 1 tablespoon per gallon of water and 2 drops of dish soap or try any one of the remedies below

Alternatives to fungicides
    Useful against powdery mildews, downy mildews, scab, rust and damping off
    Spray plants that are susceptible to fungus every two weeks as a preventive measure.
    These products are effective if used at the first sign of symptoms.
    These products are not effective once a disease has become well established.
    Preventive applications of silica (horsetail or potassium silicate) may reduce the incidence of powdery mildews, because the silica forms a protective coat over the leaf cells.

Baking
    soda Potion Dissolve 1 Tbsp of baking soda in 1 litre of water.
    Add a drop of liquid dish soap to make the mixture adhere to plant leaves.

Chamomile Infusion Steep 1 tsp. of chamomile leaves in 1 cup (250 ml) of water.

Garlic Potion Soak 100 g of chopped garlic in 2 Tbsp of mineral oil (baby oil).

Horsetail . Infusion

Boil 1 cup (250 ml) of horsetail in 2 litres of water for 20 minutes.

. Maceration

Steep 50 g of fresh horsetail in 1 litre of water for 24 hours.
    Dilute this concentrate, using 200 ml per litre of water.
    Spray on plants every 2 weeks.

Mustard Ground seeds Stir 1 part of finely ground seeds into 20 parts of water.

13. thanks for the advice ill have to remember it if i run into this issue again

14. Does not look like damping off to me. Looks more like some kind of nutrient deficiency. The fact that its on the new growth is the main clue i going by. Mg Deficiency will turn leaves purple, but it is not the only element that can cause purpling. Next time you have this problems the first place you should look is to the medium the plant is growing in. Check the ph and make sutre thats correct first. Your soil could contain everything your plant needs in abundance but if the Ph is not right your plant won't take it in. Be careful with epsom salts, to much can kill your plants. And its a relatively small window from enough to too much.

15. you maybe right..... I truthfully looked at the pic on the right and didnt blowup the the other

can you post a couple more pics of the plant over all