New grower with question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by woodfreak66, Jan 28, 2018.

1. I have a 4x8 tent . 1- when my lights are out do I need to still run my occilating fan or any other device? 2- is one 1000 watt dimgogo light enough? I have six 5 gallon buckets going on and the coverage seems good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Leave your fans on at all times. And your going to need more light in a 4 foot by 8 feet tent my friend 2 maybe 3 600w hps would do nice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. First off, I don't have all that much experience, but I ask questions here, so I'll contribute and answer what I can.
    I've done much reading and study of late and find that plenty of information exists and it varies. The short answer is your light should be okay, but my guess is it could fall off some in a 4x8 area, depending on the distance from the canopy. I'd say you'll know if they start leaning inward. I have notes that say 40 watts minimum per sq/ft, so you have that covered. I also have notes that indicate 1000 watts is appropriate for a 4x4 area.

For a little extra detail, adding more light if you feel you're deficient is not necessarily helpful. According to what I've read, there are 5 limiting factors -- light, CO2, temp & humidity, water and nutrients. Basically, they need to be in balance -- as I understand it. The plants may need more CO2 if you add more light, for instance.

Regarding the fan, I don't see how it could hurt. I'll speculate that there is potential for high humidity in your situation and keeping the air moving is a good thing -- you don't want mold or powdery mildew to take hold.

Good luck with your grow!

• Like Like x 1
  4. 1000w in a 4x8 is substantially less than 40w per. You then bring up "5" limiting factors while listing 6. Temp and humidity are related (see VPD chart) but have to be dealt with individually. Math is hard.
    In any case the 1000w in a 4x8 is less than optimal. I run six plants in approx a 4x6 under a 600w and I can tell you that that is less than optimal too....albeit I still pull better than a pound.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Oh sheeit...I also just looked up the dimgogo 1000w and its true watts are <200. Its a POS and is probably good for 1 plant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ugh! You are so right Bravedave! Guess I shouldn't do math -- or reply to posts -- with less than a half a pot of coffee in me!

The resource from which I got the '5 Factors' in fact combine temperature and humidity -- that would be Ed Rosenthal's Growers Handbook. However, now that you mention it, it makes sense that they should be considered independently. I've not seen the 'VPD Chart' -- would you mind leading me to it?

Thanks!

7. All good, friend. Here's one link...
    What is VPD chart
    It should be ignored though, opting for humidity <55% after about 3-4 weeks of flower regardless of what the chart says is ok or optimal.

8. I think you be much better running two 600w in there and even a 315 cmh in the centre of them with a 6inch fan

Sent from my SM-G935F using Grasscity Forum mobile app