New grower who needs to upgrade his light... advice?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by StarfallSeven, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Hey guys,

I'm currently growing in a cabinet that's about 3'x2'x8". My plants have just sprouted and I've noticed something expected but still discouraging: They're looking very spindly.

So, I've decided it's time to upgrade my light.

I've got about 4-5 seedlings, and am currently using 3 23w CFLs... which is NOT enough.

My thoughts? SUN SYSTEM 150W HPS ORCHID PLANT GROW LIGHT KIT W/ BULB - eBay (item 120551231324 end time Apr-30-10 23:38:52 PDT)

For my space, I think I should probably go with this system. I can keep it vented and cooled, and I intend to scrog 1-2 females if I get them.

What do you guys think? This is the only hps I've been able to locate that actually fits in the cabinet. Using SCROG and growing only two plants, do you think I'll have a fairly large harvest?

I'm growing it for medical reasons.

2. #2 OrganicIsBetter, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2010
    Lights of America 100W Fluorex Floodlight (Silver) (92102)
    http://www.lightsofamerica.com/en/Products/92102.aspx

is what i use (check the sig)... you can find them at home depot... granted i've only used it for seedlings, veg, and mothers... it's a 100w CFL that puts out 10,500 lumens... you could get 2 for around $120 at home depot and have 21,000 lumens, putting out VERY little heat (you can barehand the ballast after a week running)... which would easily veg and be a nice base for flowering with a few clamp supplementals...

it'd be slightly more expensive than a 150w hps but MUCH better results.... otherwise you'd need a 400-600w hps and pretty sick ventilation...

3. 3foot by 2 foot. 8 inches tall?? i hope this was typo! you need room. or xtra short low rider---rolf:)

4. Thats my first question

5. 8" go with CFLs, dont know how youd grow anything with 8" height though, especially when a t5+ballast/cfl is taking up atleast 3-4" of that space
    8' get a 400/600w. I hope thats what you meant to say, otherwise I dont think youll be growing much in that space.

GL

6. yea it also says not for use indoors... but alas... i have done both with 100% certainty there's less chance of a fire than an hid...

and dude i misread the 8 inches, i do hope u meant 8 feet lol

7. Sorry guys, got my specs mixed up.

3 feet tall, 2 feet wide, 8 inches deep.

8. hrm... you'll pretty much have to flower from the get-go... that space would hold 2 to MAYBE 3 1-gallons, and they'll be rootbound in a 1 gallon after a month... almost enough time to flower...

you really need more height and width to the grow room... 1 normal adult plant in a 5 gallon bucket's about 2'x2'x6', depends whether you use grow bags, square buckets or round ones...

and on top of the 6' you need room for the light to breathe... i'm not saying you couldn't control the growth with some LST or other techniques... but 3' doesn't really give you room to flex... you might get an oz per plant when you could have had 10 oz....

any way you could find a larger space? ... or is it more of a this space is what's up, make it work kind of thing?

9. HTG supply 400W fourolux high yielding lights!! HPS and MH

High Tech Garden Supply

dont buy ebay garbage get the legit shit from a legit site!! prices aint that bad either for the 400w :wave: good luck on ur journey

10. I'm no expert (just growin for the first time), but 3 x 23W of CFL for seedlings actually seems okay for now (to me). I started my seedlings with something like that, then got a couple of 42W bulbs when they got bigger. They never had the spindly problem. How close are the lights to your plants? They should be 1 - 2" away. (You have to check on them every day and move the lights or the pots as they grow.)

I saw a successful grow here recently in a small container -- he had 4 or 6 42W CFLs and a fancy plant - an autoflower that was very short. I'll try to find that. I think he got 52g or something (lil less than 2 oz).

What if OP got long narrow containers 5" tall that could hold 2 gallons or so. I'm using a dish pan that's about 11' x 12" x 5" and it holds 2.5 gallons. The HPS light takes up 5", so you're left with 27". Assuming 8" distance from the light if you have good ventilation, this leaves 19" max height for the plant. Is this do-able if he trains the plants down? (LST)

Of course OrganicIsBetter is right -- the bigger the better. but if that's all you got, you might be able to grow somethin.

HID hut has an electronic remote ballast 150W HPS system that's 16" x 8", but not sure of the height. I'd like to buy it but it's too long for my space (which is skinny and tall).

Discount Grow Lights - - 150W HPS Ballast, Bulb and Economy Reflector Combo Remote ballasts are good if you have a place to put it outside the box. Takes away some extra heat.

11. Here is a grow guide using CFLs.

Pretty good stuff.

[ame="http://www.scribd.com/doc/19554652/Marijuana-BUDS-for-Less-Grow-8-Oz-of-Bud-for-Less-Than-100-by-See-More-Buds"]Marijuana BUDS for Less - Grow 8 Oz. of Bud for Less Than $100 by See More Buds[/ame]

12. Good posts, guys.

It seems like if I want to make this work, I'll need some sort of dwarf variety.

Either way, this experience presents an opportunity to learn. Better to kill off some bagseed than waste a few expensive ones.

Do you suppose lowryder 2 would work out well in this case? IIRC, they max out at around 18-19", and stay rather compact... and can produce around 50g a plant if taken care of?

Vash, the whole dish tub idea sounds great. If I decide to go with the Lowryder idea, height wouldn't be a problem, which would allow me to focus completely on lighting.

I'd like to find a tub around 2" long, 8" wide, and around 5-7" deep. Assuming I can get one at 7" deep, that leaves 29" to work with. If my LR2 reaches 18", that ends up being 11" to work with lighting.

Time to do some more research!

13. No. First of all, he is picking a space that is very difficult for a 400 hps. Cooling is gonna be a bitch in there. Second, you suggested a light with the ballast attached to reflector... He is def gonna want a remote ballast. Ballasts crank out heat my friend. Third, htgs has 150$ 400w hps systems with remote ballasts.

14. Dont get so aggressive buddy so ur sayin ebay is better? Idk shit about ballast mine is all together i jus find it a little easier yea it gets hot but my highest temps are 85 86ish which is givin my babies a nice sun bath... But each to his own, so im not gonna knock it

15. I found the journal
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/547207-jo3cools-easy-ryder-150w-cfl-grow.html
    His first grow was the one in the tiny cabinet -- link is in his signature.

I know how you feel about wanting an HPS light -- I really want one too but the only one that will fit in my cab is the mini-floralux with enclosed ballast. But you also have to hang your light, and take into account some room between the plant and the light (exactly how much I don't know -- I said 8" before but I don't know if that's right).

With only 8" depth, you'll have to train the plant to be narrow as well as short. I read of one person who trained his plant on a trellis, but he had a longer and taller space. The thing is, more plant matter creates more buds. The only mini-grow I've seen with an HPS was a 70W security light, and I think he had more height.

Can you post a picture of your cab and seedlings?

16. I'm not being aggressive, but I think if someone is looking to start making big decisions as to what to invest in, then they should at least have good info. It is a big, important project, and bad advice can ruin it man.
    No hard feelings, but if you say something that might complicate grow, I wanna step in and make sure that that person gets the help they need.

Also, I am not saying Ebay is always better. But High Tech Garden Supply has an ebay store, which is the same exact thing as their online store. So the same link you posted had a better, cheaper deal, that is all I was telling the poster. An attached ballast is a terrible idea, especially in a space like his.

17. I just wanted to add that my dish pan is not so great. I chose it because I already had it and I was being cheap, but the problem with it is that I can't rotate it. I can turn it 180 if I take it out, but it's a pain to take it out because the plant is wider than the opening of the closet. I haven't seen the "back" of the plant in weeks. Get containers that you can rotate inside the cab, if you can. If you post a picture it will be easier for folks to help.

18. No kidding about the heat. Might as well plant 'em on the sun. CFLs are going to be the most economical and practical for such as small space, IMO. Still going to get some heat though, better plan on moving it out somehow.

However, If you have the means, you could go LED. Check out Rumps LED and Zombo's LED grows. Just sayin'