new grower please help

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by zeek, Dec 20, 2006.

1. I just decided to germinated 3 seeds and planted them in styra foam cups with holes in the bottom for drainage .now there about three inches tall and i have no clue what im doin . i bought a phillips 120 watt reflectorgrow plant buld put it in a metal spotlight holder . i have them to one side of my closet on a chair with alum foil on the walls with the light about 2.5 ft above the plants. i have a sheet hanging from ceiling to floor keeping the width only about 2 feet. the temp seems to be nice an warm but not to hot . i guess. im watering them once a day by spraying the plant and the soil with a spraybottle . please tell me whats right an whats wrong . i am exited about the plants and i plan on spending the time to grow them right . how can i tell whats male and whats female . iv been leavin the light on 24/7 , probably not right but seems to be workin fine for now . Help me save these poor inocent plants .

2. Bro you need to read up... someone smarter than me will come along and drop you the links to a bunch of grow guides.
    Until then you need to move the lights down to within inches of the plant. If you don't it will just keep stretching to your light. Another light would help... CFLs.
    You need to seperate them and into larger containers.
    Water only when the soil is dry down to an inch or two (stick your finger in the soil NOT near the plant).
    Good Luck! Take a look at my grow log for some starter pictures... notice how I moved the lights MUCH closer after people pointed that out to me.

3. Actually Zeek, you're mostly wrong. The very first thing you need to do is read the grow guides and sticky posts, look at the links in my sig as well. You need to know more about what you are doing.

That Phillips spotlight-style grow light puts out too much heat and not enough light, use CFL or HID.

Aluminum foil reflects less light that a surface painted bright flat white.

"Nice and warm" sounds like it's on the high side. Ideal temp is around 74-78F during light period.

I would water the soil not spray it.

You will be able to tell male from female when you take it into flower cycle, and then by reading the sticky posts here that tell you all about sexing.

Most growers do not use 24/0 lighting for veg, they use 18/6 or similar instead, though that seems to be a matter of opinion/preference more than anything scientific.

Good luck, but you need a better sense of where you're going before you begin the journey.

4. toasty hit it on the money but I will add some to it. the aluminum foil adds hot spots in your growing enviornment. one of your leaves might turn a funny color and you think it is a nitrigen defiency but it is just the foil being a jerk. if you do not have the means to get mylar or panda plastic, paint with FLAT white. you want to stay away from gloss plaint. forget why exactly it was something about the glossy stuff does not reflect light that well.
    a link on another forum has a link why you should only use 18/6. it deals with the plants ability to photosynthesise. since it can only do it far a max of 18 hrs a day anything more would be over kill so save your money on your electric bill.