New grower needs help on how much light.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by savoy760, Jun 6, 2011.

1. whatts up everyone i just started growing yesterday so i decided might as well sign up to get some help. So i picked up a couple clones at this despensary i go to and i set up a dope little spot in the corner of my room and i have 2 plants right now and i hooked up 1 100w flourescent with a cone and then i just went in right now and put another 100w flourescent except this one is open and there is no cone blocking the light. I am just wondering if that is too much light or heat? i did the second one because i didnt think that with the cone on the end that enough light was hitting both the plants any feed back is awesomee!! thanks and plus i just took a picture so imaa try to post it urrps.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    I cant tell if yyou can see the lights but one has that black cone thing and the other one is open and they are 100w flourescent lights that are in the shape of a corkscrew

2. Ummmmm, is that going to be your grow chamber??
    Is that ONE 100w CFL all you're going to use through the whole grow??

I'm confused...
    Or you are, I'm not sure at this point....

3. ahaha well theres 2 of them one has a cone on it and the other one is open . i was going to use thoose until i flower them and then switch to an hps. ha now im confussed?

4. 100 w equivilant or actually 100w? I sprouted three plants with two 14 watt cfls. if youre going to use cfls, keep them 2-4 inches from the plants AT ALL TIMES. 4 inches is as far as i have personally felt comfy with. check out my grow thread. it can only help ya.

5. haha and yah i no the picture makes it look like it all opened and exposed cause of that window but there is a dresser moved in front of the window and i sealed it up so no light can get in and also that area is covered where they are growing so its obviously not just open

6. the box on the cfls say 100 w each. and i have them as close as i can get them they are on a stool so yah they are right in that range. and yah ill definitely check that out

7. ya lumberjack i just sccoped your whole journal i think what imaa do different tho is for flowering im gunnaa use an hpss and that spot im growing it is like between a wall and a dresser you think if i move it overr a little more when they are bigger that both will fit there? i have room for up to like 4 feet of vertical growth..

8. #9 savoy760, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011
    if i switched the lighting to two 250 watt hps bulbs would that be enough to get 2 plants through the rest of veg and floweering? oorrr one hps bulb and leave one cfl?

9. if youre going hps, you need the ballast. they dont just screw into any regular socket... and if you go hps, cfl should really only be used for the lower shoots... to get the underside of leaves or wherever the hps doesnt penetrate...

ps it looks like you got stetch in there.... at this point all you can to is but lights a bit closer and around the stem... have a fan blowing directly on the plant on a low setting. the breeze will hopefully strengthen the bottom of that stem up..

good luck

10. #11 savoy760, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011
    yah i just adjusted the lights so the top of one of the cfls is inbetween both plants and the top is just below the first set of leaves and the second cfl is about 3 inches from the top. if i just did one 250watt hps do you think that would be enough for both the plants along with one of the cfls during flowering? what ive heard is 100watts per plant is that correct?

what does everyone think about this LED?
    http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/grd/2414720804.html