New Grower needs a lot of help!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TactiC, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Here is my situation:

I will have a small grow space at my new place and plan to grow 2 plants at a time.
    I would like to grow shorter plants, with a decent yield size.

I need to pretty much know everything that would be best for my situation:
    All materials that Ill be able to get will have to come from Home Depot or Lowes.

Garden Materials:

If I will only have one plant in each planting pot, how big should the pot be?

What soil should I get?

What soil nutrients should I get?

Anything else I need to put into the soil?

Watering Methods & Materials

What is the best way to water them?

Can you just use tap water, or does it have to be diluted?

How often do plants need to be watered?

Lighting

What light bulbs do I need to buy? Watt, HID? Be very detailed please:

Which lighting timer should I get?

Seeds & Websites

What are some legit websites where you can buy seeds with a CC? (Shipping to US)

I need some good seeds at decent prices with stealth shipping?

Masking odor smell away in my condo

What is the best way to mask the smell and completely take it away?

I will not be able to run any type of hose outside or anything like that.

After Harvest Materials

I already have a pair of nice pruning scissors already, what else do I need?

Does anyone have a link to a good video tutorial on how to manicure the cannabis?

Thank you very much & any help is appreciated!:)

2. Dude too many questions - i dont think you willget toomany replys

Read read read :)

3. You got lots of reading to do you can type all those questions in google

4. #4 Doc-J, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    Read the stickies at the top of the forum, and just look through some threads. Those will give you answers to just about every question you have. Here at gc, specific questions tend to get more replys.

Im not typing for 30 minutes to explain everything, but to answer the first one:

For soil, look for a premium soil that does not contain time released nutes. The time relased soils can usually be identified when they say "feeds for up to 6 months" or some crap like that. Look for organic if possible. Cheap soil can look like a bargain but some if it has the consistency and drainage of mud. Get a bag of perlite, no matter what you pick. It will aid in drainage. I mix 20% perlite, but you may need more or less depending on your soil choice.

5. Thanks Joker, Perlite it is. Ill look for organic.

6. Root organics soil u don't need any perlite it has plenty that's the only one I've used and didn't add any ffof I add a bunch

7. really man? this fourm is for rookies who need help with 1 or 2 things. not a shopping list and a how to grow. listen im only on my 2nd grow myself and i dont need to ask all these questions you know why? cuz i read. here is my advice.. go to google and type in "how to grow marijuana" 100s of links will come up with all the info you will ever need. i am not trying to be mean becuz i am a rookie myself but these kind of post need to stop. when you have taken an hour out of your day to sit down and read a lil info then come back and post.

8. The thing is, these are the questions that every beginner wants the answers to. So you can imagine that these questions get posted and answered over and over and over, usually multiple times per day. Eventually these answers are compiled into sticky threads, so that these basic questions come pre-answered. You gotta find 'em and learn for yourself, it's all there.

All good growers are self-educated, that's your path as well. Bone up on the basics and then come back with specific questions, that's what we're here for.

9. Attitude seed bank, single seed centre, and EDIT are good places to order seeds from with stealth shipping. There are many seeds for every budget IMO.

10. also, lowes and home depot hardly have everything you need to grow.

In fact I don't even go to those stores at all. you get cheaper deals online almost 100% of the time.

11. Why, exactly, are time-released fert soil such a bad thing for small stealth grows?

I do have some MG with the six month ferts included - and a bag of perlite - these are small 1.5-2 foot plants with plenty of CFL lighting.

Is it just that the soils of that type are not ideal for more experienced growers? I see so many mixed opinions on soil, it's ridiculous (no offense).

Why would regular plants grow fine in the MG-6 month fert soil, but not cannabis, which is a pretty hardy plant/weed when it comes down to it?

Just wondering...

12. [quote name='"Dragonfly2921"']Why, exactly, are time-released fert soil such a bad thing for small stealth grows?

I do have some MG with the six month ferts included - and a bag of perlite - these are small 1.5-2 foot plants with plenty of CFL lighting.

Is it just that the soils of that type are not ideal for more experienced growers? I see so many mixed opinions on soil, it's ridiculous (no offense).

Why would regular plants grow fine in the MG-6 month fert soil, but not cannabis, which is a pretty hardy plant/weed when it comes down to it?

Just wondering...[/quote]

I'm not an expert. But those additives in the mg feed for too long even longer than the claimed 6 months or so I hear. The thing is most plants probably wouldn't like that much of the nutrients, and def not at all stages of the grow. Also Iv read the "food" cannot be flushed out, so basically nute burn galore. But hey guy aren't you growing In mg how does it look? I could be wrong. But either way you want to flush your weed before harvest and mg sounds like low quality low success to me. Foxfarm is as commercial as I would go, which is what a lot of people like and start out wih

13. Thanks. My understanding was that MG is so "light" in the nute dept., that you wouldn't get a burn nor need to flush necessarily, but am not sure. I guess this is about how it applies to dwarfed plants in a stealth grow.

I would definitely use something better/stronger for a bigger plant, but 2 month autos or a 1.5-2 ft. stealth grow, in 8-9 weeks, I had read that people did just fine with MG.

Although they have recommended doing the 30-day time release fert kind, haven't read anything about the 6 month - just making sure I'm not doing something completely stupid - logic tells me I'd be ok with a small, faster grow (such as autos) with the 6 month - and just don't nute.

But again, I am not sure and may just leave it in the bag!

14. I get it's an auto, but I would still think other things come into play especially at the end of flowering, you don't want too high of n or mag, I think. When you flush your plant the necessary nutrients the buds need to finish come from within the plant naturally, all the energy goes to the buds because it feels like its lifecycle is ending. Or this is my understanding so far

15. Thanks, makes sense that you'd want more control over your nute feedings during flowering and the last 2-4 weeks in particular.

None of the garden stores around here have anything except 6 month MG time release.

I'll probably get the 30-day MG or some FF online this week and start over next week and stick to the book.

16. [quote name='"Dragonfly2921"']Thanks, makes sense that you'd want more control over your nute feedings during flowering and the last 2-4 weeks in particular.

None of the garden stores around here have anything except 6 month MG time release.

I'll probably get the 30-day MG or some FF online this week and start over next week and stick to the book.[/quote]

Yep I'm mean if you want you can ignore everything I said, I'm no expert and I'm just finishing up my first grow. When I started putting everybinv together ff sounded like the best opt for coming right out of the bag, I mix a little coco with mine. And I noticed hardware and garden stores usually get rid of all the organic soil options during winter season, at least where I live. Ordering online sounds good, unless you can find a hydro garden store anywhere in your area. I didn't know of any until I googled for my area. Again I'm not way experienced, and as far as I know the mg ammendments are probably fine like the perlite and all that shit they sell seperate. Either way good luck to you brothah

17. #17 Doc-J, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
    Thr problem most people have with the time released mg is that it can burn your plants. The "time released" nutes are released when you water. So you can be trucking along and out of nowhere your plants get an od of N. Normally when you over feed, you can flush the soil and get the nutes under control. Since the mg nutes are released by watering, it only makes the problem worse trying to flush. Leaving the only option to transplant to less hot soil. So, the plant gets burned and then stressed.

18. Garden Materials:

If I will only have one plant in each planting pot, how big should the pot be?

depending on grow area to expected yield choose a different size. for normal growing conditions 3-5 gallon recommended

one plant per pot ALWAYS!

What soil should I get?

i've heard fox farms is good, but there's many formulas on this site and others. search around

ocean forest/happy frog

What soil nutrients should I get?

fox farm is pretty standard as well. look around for specifics. The "trio" seems to work well

Anything else I need to put into the soil?

Perlite for drainage/water retension reasons.
    happy frog/ocean forest is a good combo too

Watering Methods & Materials

What is the best way to water them?

not sure of this myself

Can you just use tap water, or does it have to be diluted?

PH Balancing it is recommended

How often do plants need to be watered?

depends on size/heat from 1 day- 3 days some as long as 5

Lighting

What light bulbs do I need to buy? Watt, HID? Be very detailed please:

HPS is recommended (HID)
    CFL is okay but HPS > CFL
    T5/8s for Veg
    MH is better then t5/8s for veg

IMO HPS is good for whole grow

Which lighting timer should I get?

anything you can trust; mechanical for some but i prefer digital but they can fail too

Seeds & Websites

What are some legit websites where you can buy seeds with a CC? (Shipping to US)

Attitude seedbank is what i recommend

I need some good seeds at decent prices with stealth shipping?

very stealth; lots of types. pick and mix is a plus. freebies and sales often. 420 is a good discount code

Masking odor smell away in my condo

What is the best way to mask the smell and completely take it away?

carbon filter/fan
    ONA Gel
    Air freshner/etc

I will not be able to run any type of hose outside or anything like that.

After Harvest Materials

I already have a pair of nice pruning scissors already, what else do I need?

Unsure; place to dry/table to cut over, lots of time. hanging area then place to jar it up for curing

Does anyone have a link to a good video tutorial on how to manicure the cannabis?

there's a thread about it and videos on youtube; its personal preference to smoke really. experiment! or search for what others do