New Grower, looking for tips.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Maltball, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Hey all,

I'm a brand new grower and need some tips.

I recently just planted 29 seeds, 14 Top44, 14 Afghan, and 1 seed from locally bought stuff (live in massachusetts, USA). 22 sprouted and look to be growing healthy. I had them in jiffy-7 pellets in a plastic germination dome-thingy with a heating pad and today, about 1 week old; 2-4 inches tall, I just moved the jiffy pellets into peat moss pots (only 25 cents per so not large ones) and put some potting soil in around them that is meant for tomatoes and other vegetables. and put them back in the plastic container with a heating pad but no plastic topping anymore. I watered them so the soil is nice and moist.

Sadly i've been reading about growing for like 2 months and this still confuses the shit outta me...
    Now my questions are:

When should I move them outdoors? I plan to move them to a spot I have pretty much scouted out. I'll need to tear up the overgrown grass in the area but then drop it around loosely after everything is planted. Outdoor area should get plenty light and has a near by river.
    Best soil to mix with the natural soil? I've read 10-30-20 or 10-60-30 but I don't know if the place I go to for soil even carries that kind of stuff so what could be some other options?
    I've read other people mentioning in posts "my plant is so-n-so inches tall, should I start flowering?" ...What does "Start flowering" mean? I didn't even know you could trigger the plant to flower. I thought after a while it just started happening and I'd go get some Miracle-Gro Bloom Booster fertilizer and water them with it ever 1.5-2 weeks. How do I trigger flowering or is that indoor only?
    How long do I have to wait to harvest from this moment? I'll be leaving for school around Sept. 21st, is that enough time to harvest and possibly sell some? Do I have to wait a full 6-9 weeks of flowering to harvest or can I start earlier? If earlier does that just mean less product?
    How do I tell males from females? I've read a lot about this but i'm never really sure. Males have balls, like lil ones under their leaves? and white hairs? I'm confused. If anyone has good pictures or something that'd be really helpful. and in your opinion out of 22 plants how many do ya'll assume will be female? I'm hoping at least 11 of them.

If I have more questions i'll post them, but I hope I was specific enough.

Thanks,

Malt

2. Hey man,
    I'm glad that you have decided to take the initiative to grow your own! Now you need to know your responsibilities. You are going to be growing consumable produce, comparable to growing food. Do not use miracle grow. It's no good for people! Growing organicly is cheap and will yield better results. Next, you should Check out some books, and online tutorials, and listen carefully. Ed Rosenthal, DJ Short and SOMA are all killer authors. Lastly, don't count on making money. You won't learn what need to know until you've grown for at least one season. Grow for personals, and who knows. You may have a little extra to get some pocket money when all is said and done. Lastly, it won't be ready by September. If you have a thanksgiving Break then you may have a chance at harvesting then. Maybe leave them for a buddy to look after? Peace

3. I could sit here and type for days on end and never near tell what you can learn from reading of these forums. But 2 things will put U out of the game real quick are (1) OVERWATERING (2) OVERFERTILIZING Just remember these 2 words and read till U think U cant read any longer and read some more. I fertilize at 1/2 rate always. Then after a week, if U think they need more there will be less chance of nute burn. I dont mean to be crude, but remember the 2 words! Good Luck!

4. When should I move them outdoors? I plan to move them to a spot I have pretty much scouted out. I'll need to tear up the overgrown grass in the area but then drop it around loosely after everything is planted. Outdoor area should get plenty light and has a near by river.

whenever you see fit last frost should've passed just wait for it to be 55 degrees farenheit at night and you'll be good

Best soil to mix with the natural soil? I've read 10-30-20 or 10-60-30 but I don't know if the place I go to for soil even carries that kind of stuff so what could be some other options?

I'm pretty sure that is way to strong

I've read other people mentioning in posts "my plant is so-n-so inches tall, should I start flowering?" ...What does "Start flowering" mean? I didn't even know you could trigger the plant to flower. I thought after a while it just started happening and I'd go get some Miracle-Gro Bloom Booster fertilizer and water them with it ever 1.5-2 weeks. How do I trigger flowering or is that indoor only?

your plant starts budding (the potant pare of mj is the bud) when the days start to get shorter some people bring their plants inside for 12 hours andput them in sun for 12 hours to promote early budding. the reason mj buds is it is trying to create seeds for next year

How long do I have to wait to harvest from this moment? I'll be leaving for school around Sept. 21st, is that enough time to harvest and possibly sell some? Do I have to wait a full 6-9 weeks of flowering to harvest or can I start earlier? If earlier does that just mean less product?

top44 should be ok and i dunno the harvest date on afghan

How do I tell males from females? I've read a lot about this but i'm never really sure. Males have balls, like lil ones under their leaves? and white hairs? I'm confused. If anyone has good pictures or something that'd be really helpful. and in your opinion out of 22 plants how many do ya'll assume will be female? I'm hoping at least 11 of them.

we'll help you when the time comes just post some pics

hope this helps:) :smoking:

5. topp44 is an early growing plant similar to lowrider but more yielding and potant isn't it?

6. I doubt I will have anyone to look after it. My friend and I are growing them together and using another friends land (he has like 10 or 20 acres) but aside from that I don't think I could trust anyone else to look after them, they'd either want a cut of the cash or they'd steal it all :(

The college i'm going to gives 6 week thanksgivin break, November 19-January 3, so I could easily harvest in the period right? The question is, by the time I go to college (Mid-Late Sept) would the plant be okay to tough it out for 2 months w/o my guidance?

How much water is to much? Right now they are in peat moss pots and I used to lightly water them each day or mist spray them. But I doubt i'll water today, soil looks dark and damp.

They sit on the floor behind my bed with a window no more then 6 inches from a window which is probably 8 inches off the floor. Then I have a basic reading lamp with no shade that I turn on once I get home from school so they get that photosynthesis shit, lol. I'm thinking of putting a small fan near them to toughen their stems but i've read that doesn't work -- Any input on that?

I was sort of growing this to sell it, i'm not much of a smoker anymore, so I guess i'll have to do that during thanksgivin break. I've got a mushroom grow kit on the way so that will have to be my means of income, haha.

Thanks for the all input and help, hopefully I'll be growing for a lifetime if this all goes well...peace

Malt

7. I don't like to be negative. You have ALOT to learn. Comercial growing is dangerous in your part of the world, and also very tricky. Your entire plan is very hard to remedy. You need more info! Tutorials! Books! It may be a weed, but It's fairly hard to grow a good weed. You can do it! Just accept that it will be every bit as big of a learning curve as your classes, without the benifit of a live instructor. Go get some textbooks if your serious, if not, get a job! Mushrooms are cheap, but will sell. Just don't count on making any money until your dorm is full of aquariums.

8. ...wouldn't happen to know a few websites with tutorials?

I have 2 jobs! But I am serious about growing weed! I hope my local library carries written by those authors you mentioned above. I wanna learn and grow! learn and grow!! ...I know i'm probably getting over my head but i'm going by the philoshphy of "Live and Learn". So even if I dont do well this time around, I'll keep doing it each and every summer! Going into freshman year late sept, so i got a few ahead of me!

[[[I know commercial growing is dangerous in the US and selling even more so. So I was thinking about buying 10-20 Lowryder seeds since they are small and quick (small yield i know, but just gonna try it out - I have money to spend) so do any of ya'll know where I can buy some seeds that ship to US and have legit lowryder seeds? I've been thinking soulseeds.com ...]]] <= nvm

Thanks again for help,
    i'll go get some books tomorrow, i hunger for knowledge.

Malt

9. live and learn but learn one thing there is no room for mistakes in this situation you will face time and your plants probly wont give you a second chance

10. lowrider#2 has alot better yeild and potancy and drchronic.com is a great place to get it

11. Thanks for all the help

my plants haven't seem to grown in about 1.5 days, they look same size, same leaf size, seem to be stalling or something. I'm sure everything is alright because none of them look as if they are sick or dieing.

If any thing comes up i'll post

Thanks again

Malt

12. If you keep the attitude that you have now I have no doubt that you'll do good. Good luck!! +rep

13. Just thought I'd show off my baby seedlings. they are 8 days old today!
    I just pruchased 10 Top44 from DrChronic and sent my money order to them today also and did quite a bit of reading on growing marijuana but most sites show indoor techniques. Does anyone have any good sites that specify on outdoor?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:wave:

Malt

14. Nice Job so far. the plants look like they are stretching abit you might want to see if you can get them closer to the lights.

Peace
    wwonka

15. yes very stretched... put a compact floresent light right over it

16. gah, i dont even know where to buy that, lol. ...local hardware store maybe? and will it cost much? ...well i'm sure the bulb is only a few dollars but rather the stand that will hang over it, rather than a lamp that sits next to it is what im wondering where to find.

17. [​IMG]You can buy them at wal-mart lol. They are just new energy efficient lights that look spiraly.

18. Yeah your plants are definitely stretching. Maybe consider getting a few floor lamps and smacking in some daylight CFLs for now? Then you can control light height while they're young.

19. While i'm out tomorrow my dad is going to pick up the CFLs & a stand that will sit above them rather than next to them for me (he has no idea what im growin lol). So hopefully I be able to install it tomorrow afternoon.

As of right now, are the plants still okay even though they are stretching? Like, they aren't in danger of coppin' out on me are they? :(

20. They look pretty good. Check your pH if the growth seems to have halted.