New grower looking for tips

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by High&Polite, Nov 6, 2013.

1. So this is my first ever GC post but I've been reading for more than a couple months and I have my entire grow setup assembled for my first serious indoor grow. I figured I'd ask the pros here to see if there were any gaps missing in my setup before I started growing or any helpful hints to produce better yield or quality.

To start I have a secret jardin DR90 3 feet square by 6 feet tall there is a 400 watt hid with air cooled hood and a 130 watt led in this tent. I plan to use the MH bulb to veg out my first batch then I want to make it strictly my flower chamber. I also have a less expensive tent (still works amazing) that's 4x2 by 5 feet tall. I want this to be my veg tent and it will have 5 (6 if they'll fit) 4 foot long 54 watt Cfls. I only decided to save the cash on a cheaper tent because the Cfls are way lighter than the Hid.

For ventilation I have a 6in 240cfm intracting the hood and a 6 in 160cfm extracting outside the chamber but it's a booster so it can reach 250 with another fan. I hope that will be enough. I also will have a 160cfm booster intracting into the flower chamber and the same extracting from the flower chamber through duct into the veg chamber and then I have a 160cfm hooked up to my scrubber at the other end of my veg tent. I also have clip on fans if I need to put more air on my plants. I'm not a ventilation pro so this is the area I question most. But my tents combined are only 94 square feet so I also fear it may be too much.

I have the entire foxfarm lineup and it worked great for my first outdoor grow but for inside I figured I'd try something different so I bought technaflora's entire lineup as I've heard amazing things about them.

For soil I am making my own soilless mix. 1 part soil, 1 part peat, 1 part top soil, 1 part vermiculite and perlite. This also could probably use some adjusting. Using 5 gallon buckets as containers with a hole poked in the bottom.

Since I got a few autos for free I'm going to grow them in my dr90 first while I veg the better strains in the other tent for 8-10 weeks. After the autos are gone I want to take clones and perpetualize my cycle which shouldn't be too hard. Take a few clones and put the mothers in the flower tent and veg out the clones again. I do understand the difference between fertilizing autos and photos since autos don't use near as much and are started slightly later.

I plan on lightly Lsting the autos and giving 18/6 light. I plan on topping the photos down to the second node after 5 or 6 have grown (uncle ben's topping method) for 4 colas and then Lsting and super cropping for max yield. Could I get better yield from a scrog though?

I'm only trying to grow 2 or 3 plants per tent at a time just for personal but I'm anxious to get my huge stockpile of dank started! Any suggestions or tips would be awesome.

2. So I just read the ventilation FAQ and I'm definitely going to buy an actual fan rather than use the boosters I have and try to pull the air through my tents rather than push it. I'm also going remove the intake fans and try to use them at the end of the system or in the middle so the can help pull more air through. Probably going to get a vortex style since I'm going to have to cool the HID.

3. o shit really? how do you know that sucks.

but yea stay here. and also make a thread Bout your progress

Sent from my SGH-T959

4. That's the exact light I have in the DR90, mine just has the air cooled hood rather than the cool tube. I just didn't really understand how to combine ventilation for my hood and both tents. Do I need to buy a centrifugal fan to cool my HID and one to move air through the grow spaces? Or will the booster fans suffice on the grow space and just use the centrifugal fan on the HID?

5. Stop buying and keep reading ....!

6. So I half followed your advice. I saw a picture that really just made it click for me so I bought a 400 CFM centrifugal and a y connector. I hooked up duct and a booster running to each tent so I don't lose too much flow since I split it. Passive intakes and the Hid pulls it's air from the tent it's in rather than outside and this way my main fan is pushing everything through the scrubber. I didn't know what you meant by stream line but I think that's the best way to stream line for me. I'll post a picture here in a few days.