New grower looking for tips

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Phonetics, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Hello fellow blades!

basically i'm planning on starting a grow asap and ive spent weeks reading through GC for advice and the like but theres one thing i just cant get my head around. Ventilation.

I will be growing in a closet and have no idea what ventilation i need. i know i have to have air flow but really dont want holes in the wall because im not sure how to go about doing that correctly and dont want to bring others in for obvious reasons.

Really im just asking for a very basic explanation on what to do. I checked the ventilation sticky but it seems a tad too confusing and more dedicated to bigger grows. i only plan on doing 5 plants maximum and will be using cfls.

Any help would be much appreicated.

2. Basically you need air coming in and air going out, because plants need fresh air to live and be healthy, and growing in the closet generates a lot of heat and stale air. Getting air in and out is the hardest and most creative part of setting up the room. If it's your own place, you can draw a circle on the wall the size of your duct for the exhaust, and cut it out with a sawzall. You have to have a carbon filter hooked up to an inline fan hooked up to a duct which exhausts out of the room. The size of the intake fan and the duct that it fits on depends on how big the closet is, but generally the bigger the better for purposes of lowering the heat. You need the carbon filter so the air you are exhausting to the outside doesn't smell. Then you need a smaller hole or two for intake if you are using a passive intake. Passive intake just means that you are using the fan that is pulling air out of the room to pull fresh air into the room at the same time. If it's not your place, then you are going to have to duct in and out to windows. There is just no way around it.