New Grower/Looking for help with well water

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by whiteyowenz, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Hello all. New member and grower here. I need help with what to do about water to feed. I will be growing in coco and using the KISS method. I'm estimating I'll need around 8-10 gallons a day. Here's my dilemma: I have naturally hard well water. Around 480 hardness with 7.1 pH (I have my water test results attached). I installed a water softener for general tap water around the house and it has made great improvements in life, but from my research is bad for growing. So I'm between two options:

A) Running the well water, before the softener, to a mutli-stage filter setup. Just like a general 10" or 20" sediment and carbon filter. This would be slightly cheaper, and theoretically would bring PPMs down to around 200 or so.

B) Run the water from the softener to an RO system, such as the Stealth 100/200.

Any opinions, tips, or help would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. grow in soil would be mucho cheaper and less hassles

3. Haven't read much into soil. I'm starting with the assistance of a long-term grower who uses coco. Maybe I'll look into soil more, I know I've read it's more forgiving. Wouldn't I still need to treat the water in some manner?

4. My water is hard , I add nothing and don't pH either

5. Run a kdf 85 filter, that will pull out heavy metals and minerals. You can order online or pick one up at your hydro store,
    Or you can get a RO system. Now a days they are about the same price. You only need a 4 stage for growing. RO will have waste water, KDF wont.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Grasscity Forum mobile app