New Grower First Grow! What U Think?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Mjay1213, Apr 15, 2012.

1. White widow from nirvana seeds growing in 2.5 gal fox farm ocean forrest in a 2x4 tent under a 400w mh light. The large plant is about 30 days from seed and the other three are about two weeks younger. My only worry is why they are getting tall really just bushy. Is this normal? Any suggestions? Thanks

image-819766620.jpg

image-3581503501.jpg

2. they look pretty healthy! if you notice your plants are starting to stretch (get tall) move the light closer. ffof is pre-ferted, but i'd amend with a bit of nutes. it sounds like they've been in the soil for a while, and the plant will use up what added ferts are in the soil. depending on what you use, maybe a couple tsp. per gallon. is it just me, or are you just watering directly under the plants? you want to water all of the medium. water/feed till you get a bit of run-off.

3. Yea I'll start making sure the whole soil area gets water. I was goin to start giving light feed my next watering. Glad to hear that they look healthy.

4. Those ARE very pretty, healthy plants, but they ARE short for 30 days from seed. I agree with GrowBot, add some nutes. At 30 days from seed, you can go with a 1/2 strength grow formulation, and after 1-2 waterings, go full strength.
    Also, with 400W-MH, there's no danger at all in lowering the light to within 14" of the plants. I get by with 10-12" consistently, and this is when they really start to take off - full strength light, full strength nutes, watch out!!!!!
    Have fun and try not to drool too much on the plants, it causes sun-burn & waterspots!!!

5. I thought that they were short. When I get off work I'll lower my lights. And feed them 1/2 strength next watering. Thanks for the input and I'll keep u guys posted. This forum rocks!!

6. At this point when I water how much do I give a whole gallon?

7. Just pour until a bit runs out the bottom. The idea is to water deep to encourage the roots to reach deep, then let dry out. When you poke your finger in the dirt & it's dry a couple inches down, time to water again.

8. Gottcha! Thanks!

9. Feed my plants half strength and lowered the lights and my plants seeme to double in size over night!! Pics comming soon. Thanks for the help!! I was worried there for a second.

10. SWEET!!! That's what it's all about, live & learn. Now remember, no drooling on the plants!!!!!

11. Should I veg longer or go to 12/12 now??

12. subbed :bongin:

I usually shoot for 3' plants under my 400w, I'd veg longer.

13. They'll be fine in 3 gallon pots for that long? Thanks guys!!

14. MJ-
    Here comes the dreaded "it depends" answer.....
    Originally you said you have a 2X4 grow tent with 400W HPS; how tall is the tent? And, it's a bit hard to gauge height from your pic's. The amount of headroom has a lot to do with when you switch to 12/12 and bloom. Plants can double, even triple in height, when you do this. So, a 16" plant can hit 48" by the time it's stopped stretching & started really putting on the buds. Anytime I go over 16" before switching to bloom, I end up with lots of LST keeping the top buds out of my lights.
    Not Sure suggested 3' and nothing wrong with that answer IF you have the headroom. But that one bushy plant is going to consume your entire grow tent if you let it get that big!!!! And since you've got a few more plants to include, maybe you go sooner.
    This always works for me - wait for the plants to reach 7 nodes tall - count from the bottom / first set of branches as node 1; after node 6, as node 7 starts to open, top it - especially if it's not already showing strong lateral branching. Then let it grow two strong top branches a few nodes taller. By the time all this happens you should be around the 16 - 18" mark, more or less depending upon strain. Then make your switch to 12/12 and hold on!!!
    There's lots of other more scientifically correct answers (watching for pre-flowers) but this should keep you out of trouble & result in some really quality buds.
    Bestaluck!!!

15. Thanks for the awesome answers and help! You guys rock. I have a 6 foot tall tent. I was going to let them go 2 feet and then switch to 12/12. That way if it doubles in size I'll be kool I think at least.

16. Man dude those plants look like they're gonna be awesome!! I'll keep my eyes on this thread . Keep updating it bro looks good :D

17. Thank you and I was a little worried because I never tried growing anything before in my life! I def keep updating.