New grower, Could definetely use some help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CA MMJ, May 6, 2010.

1. Brand new to this. Have 2 22wfluorescent bars on ballast for clone cabinet (have an additional 2 150w CFL's if needed). Have a 400w HPS light for a 7ft square area. Grow area and Clone cabinet covered in mylar. I am about to purchase Fox Farms Ocean floor for soil and the Fox Farms Nutrients too (Tiger Bloom, Grow big, Big bloom). My grow area is going to be for Veg and Flowering, don't have enough space or money for two seperate areas. Picking up 2 Purple Voodoo Daddy Indica's and 1 Sativa/Indica Hybrid (60/40). I forgot the name of the hybrid. I need ALL the help I can get as i am a brand new grower and this is going to be my first grow. If anyone has any questions, comments, tips, ANYTHING would be very much appreciated :smoke:

Attached Files:

• GR.jpg
      GR.jpg
      File size:
      169.4 KB
      Views:
    • GR1.jpg
      GR1.jpg
      File size:
      395.1 KB
      Views:
    • GR2.jpg
      GR2.jpg
      File size:
      16.5 KB
      Views:
    • GR3.jpg
      GR3.jpg
      File size:
      249.4 KB
      Views:
    • GR4.jpg
      GR4.jpg
      File size:
      28.6 KB
      Views:
    • GR5.jpg
      GR5.jpg
      File size:
      27.2 KB
      Views:
  2. now you need vent's...and what spectrum are the cfl's? 6500k?
    that area is really tight for a 400w hps id use just the cfl's..
    you should get this over to the builder thread...
    check my sig..
    cheer's

3. Actually, i think i need new CFL's. They put out 2800 lumens. They are 42 watters that are "Equivelant" to 150w incandescent bulbs...stupid confusing package. We actually already have a vent installed in the ceiling, it is a bit old, so yes we do need a new one. Would the 400w HPS work for the 7 square foot grow area? Would it increase my yield? I would rather use the HPS, i am a little skeptical about using all CFL's as i have heard HPS and MH lights greatly increase your yield

4. oh ya i'm a hid man myself actually...i love em..
    i have 3 400's in a 7x5x6high flower room..
    but i needed an ac just for the 2...
    is your 400 air coolable?

5. Do you think one 400 would work in a 2.6Lx2.6Wx6.5H area? And no, its not air coolable. Would a oscillating fan work to cool the 400HPS/keep fresher air hitting the plants?

6. #6 custom280Z, May 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2010

yes it will jam that space i'm just trying to calc heat..that's all...but yes that is worthy for sure..a 400 will do up to a 4x4 area good and a 5x5 decent..
    so it's golden bro..
    yes the fan is something i alway's suggest...
    oscillating fan's are a must in any indoor grow,,,remember that..:D

your light, non aircooled will be slightly cooler and the wind on your plant promotes strong thick stem's for heavy bud's to grow on..

about nutes and soil...f'k ff soil's and nutes bro..they work great don't get me wrong..but waayyy overpriced..
    not very indepth nutes either..
    i use Root's organic's or vital earth guano's, neptunes harvest and earth juice are also great, even general hydro's organic's kit can be used for soil and way better than FF imho..
    i also find cheap cow manure compost for around 2-3 buck's a bag and a 2 dollar thing of cheap potting soil with no nutes in it...no mg that crap suck's...get some perlite and mix it all up..i even throw a few small bag's of seedling soil(all peat and perlite) cheap stuff in there...costs me 1-2$..
    i get about 100lb's of soil for less than 1 bag of ff...no burn or cutting needed..just plant and grow...no nutes for the first month almost too..all organic..

7. Alright, thanks man. You're definetely helping me out, I don't know many people that grow at the moment so this website is the best thing for me to come to right now. What kind ferts should i use?

8. Root's organic's or vital earth guano's, neptunes harvest and earth juice are also great..
    i'll send you a pm bro..

9. Oh, sorry man, blazed as hell, thought those were all soils. Bit dyslexic too =p

10. no all nutes but it's cool...lol i have high moment everyday...lol well 24/7 if i can help it..pm sent on nutes..soil's are easy..just go cheap..whatever you can get that look's well filtered..i found some today at walmart..eathgro..
    it look's fantastic but has no perlite.. i bought 1 40lb bag of there cow shit compost and one bag of there reg potting soil...
    it's all organic..
    cost me less than 5$ for 80lb's of great soil..
    with a bag of vermiculite or perlite, it's about perfect..
    you could even go next level and add 1 bag of worm casting's..and about 4 cup's of dolomite lime..
    then you got one bad ass soil mix for 20$ or less and about 100lb's of it..

11. Alright cool. Soil isn't that much of a problem, theres some pretty cheap organic stuff with bat guano, peat moss, humic acid, worm castings, etc, so im hoping that'll work. Im still a little fuzzy on the whole ph thing, how do i measure ph in my soil???

12. well everyone at gc will say buy an expensive digital meter..
    i say no..
    get a general hydroponic's ph adjustment kit..under 20$ online..
    check your run off water..
    adjust water before you use it...so get a gallon jug, add your dose of nutes and water then check ph...
    you want about 6.5-6.8 in soil 5.5-6.0 in hydro..
    use the kit to adjust it...then water/feed...
    i use tap water until i see a problem...it usually work's fine..never adjust unless needed..
    but in soil when problem's with ph happen, just do a flush...research flushing..
    alway's flush with plain ph adjusted water..
    that gh kit will have a kick ass chartabout ph and nutes to show you in visual on how nutes are taken in at what ph..just remember that kit is for hydro but will work great for soil just find a soil ph chart online..use the gh kit to find and adjust ph..

13. Alright, I understand it now. I think this crop will turn out pretty nice=D Thanks man