New grower cfl questions

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Grwforfun, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Posted this in beginner thread but thought it make more since here

I just got my first plant to break through the soil. It's been three days since germination and it seems to be coming up pretty well, but I was using a stupid incandescent witch I think may have burned the pod of the new seedling (will post pics). I have switched to one 26w cfl 6500k and it defiantly seems brighter and not too hot, that's all I have for now I will get more maybe 4 to make 100 actual watts just wondering if now one is enough, the plant is 1/4 an inch out of the soil so how long can I continue to grow on this one bulb?

(Decent bag seed) (really small pot for now in my room) (hope it didn't get burnt just a little brown on one side but it's just out out the soil and still in a pod type shape)

[​IMG]

2. Grow For Fun: For the best chance of success you should RTFB before you subject your seeds to conditions that can stunt it or kill it. I wish there was an easier way, but from what you ask, I think you might be new to this so I’d suggest you RTFB and refer to the following:
    1. Read: SeeMoreBud’s book, “MARIJUANA BUDS FOR LESS- GROW 8 OZ. OF BUDS FOR LESS THAN $100.” Mr. Buds book might be a good place to start as you appear to be doing what he's doing in his book.
    2. Read: Jorge Cervantes’s book, “MARIJUANA HORTICULTURE THE INDOOR/OUTDOOR MEDICAL GROWER’S BIBLE.”
    3. Read: Ed Rosenthal’s, “MARIJUANA GROWER’S HANDBOOK.”
    4. You’ll also want to read: Mc Carthy’s book, “GROWING MARIJUANA.”
    5. You should also subscribe to, “HIGH TIMES,” magazine. Each issue is chocked full of useful information. .” All these resources are very well written, well illustrated and packed with information that will answer most of your questions before you know to ask them. And I want to add a new book to the list, a 6th one: “THE CANNABIS GROW BIBLE- SECOND EDITION,” written by Greg Green. It’s a match to, if not better than, the ones listed above. Doing your homework and consulting these resources will save you and your plants a lot of anxiety before you plant. These forums are great but often they can’t get the information you need to you in a timely fashion. I hope this helps. Hank

3. A sproutling has no light requirements till the 1st set of leaves pop...which happens pretty fast.

You should have a fan blowing as well on your lights to push the heat away.

4. Thanks I got a fan going and it's growing really well now looks good

5. I used 6 26 watt cfl on my seedlings and out of 6 sprouts 4 grew to womanhood, I kept them about 8" above my girls

6. #6 Hank Alvarez, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2012
    Rhapsodie: says who? When they crack the seed, the tap root goes down and the sprout goes toward the light, which is usually up. I believe they refer to that as being phototropic since the light is usually up. Don't hold me to the spelling. I believe that's why when you plant a seed up side down it tries to grow that way and usually dies trying. Everything dries out while it tries to wrap and grow around the seed to the direction it needs to go.
    You guys might want to read, "MARIJUANA BUDS FOR LESS," BY SeeMoreBuds since he takes you from seed planting to harvest under CFL's.
    June's edition 2011 of "HIGH TIMES," has a great article on seed propagation.
    Consider this:
    1. Plant them twice as deep as they are long with the 'pointy end' down. Whether you cover them is your choice. I used to but I don't any more. The important thing is that the tap root that emerges gets anchored.
    2. Irrigate the seeds and leave them in complete darkness to swell and pop for 24 hours.
    3. Set your 5,000- 6,000 or 6,500 K blue grow lamps as close as possible without frying your plants.
    4. From there, feed them a half strength mixture of the nutes you chose to use. If they like them you're off to a good start and now you'll really need to RTFB. I hope that helps. Hank

7. Says who..science. A sprouting that is coming up can not covert any sunlight into energy until the first set of leaves start to pop. The Cotyledon provides your sprouting food initially until the leaves develop.

The tap root going down has as much to do with gravity as anything. The plant is evolved to do that. Plants in outer space develop differently because of the lack of gravity. They actually have to put the plants they grow up there in special containers to guide the development.

Its kind of like a turtle. The sand/dirt thats its hatched in imprints as a embryo. There not exactly how but you could displace that turtle 1000 miles away and it will spend the rest of its life trying to find its birthplace. They never learned it its a inherit genetic ability much like a seeds roots going down and the rest going up. Its genetically prewired to dot that.

Buds for less is a great book. Not the gospel but interesting. More of a grow journal turned into a picture book though. Cannabis Grow Bible is a excellent read as well.