New grower, baby plant, help?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by 1sttimegrower, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Hey, been wanting to grow for a while now rather than buying my bud each month and I finally got my hands on a small clone; I think it would be alot more rewarding of a smoke if its my own, homegrown buds, rather than something else.

Small, female (so im told from the one who sold it to me), clone of california hash.
    Planning on growing outside in my backyard.
    Going to transfer the plant into the earth once it hits about a foot in height.

Im a little worried about the plant, it doesn't look as if it was in excellent shape.
    Any tips on how to correct it?

Im planning on buying a few cuttings of blue dream and growing those as well, 2-3 plants total.

About how much space should i give each plant, from other MJ plants and other plants?

Also, the guy who sold it to me advised 300 ml every 4 days for now; correct or no?

Thanks for any help! Going to browse these forums for more information, really want this to be a succesful harvest come fall.

2. Here are pictures of the little girl

Attached Files:

3. #3 Sweet Leaf`, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2010
    that plant doesnt look healthy at all. its leaves are curled and it looks like its overwatered but idk. what kind of soil is it? are you using any nutrients? there are a lot of things to consider when growing a plant. you should do some reading around on the site. as for your plant, the stems are purple, this is a phosphorus deficiency. basically the plant needs all sorts of nutrients to grow and you need to supply them. it will let you know what its not getting and you need to fix it by either changing the ph in the soil, moving the lamp farther away, less or more water, etc.
    heres a good chart, i dont take credit for the chart i found it online but i use it so

Symptom Deficiency
    Yellowing of Younger leaves.............. Fe, Mn.
    Yellowing of Middle leaves................ Mo.
    Yellowing of Older leaves................. N, K, Mg, Zn.
    Yellowing Between veins.................. Mg, Mn.
    Old leaves drop............................. N.
    Leaf Curl Over............................... Mg.
    Leaf Curl Under............................. K, Cu, Over Fert.
    Leaf tips burn, Younger leaves.......... B.
    Leaf tips burn, Older leaves............. N, Zn.
    Young leaves wrinkle and curl........... K, Zn, B, Mo.
    Dead areas in the leaves................. K, Mg, Fe, Zn, Mn.
    Leaf growth stunted....................... N, P.
    Dark green/purple leaves & stems...... P.
    Pale green leaf color...................... N, Mo.
    Leaf Spotting............................... Zn.
    Spindly....................................... N.
    Soft stems.................................. N, K.
    Hard/brittle stems......................... P, K.
    Growing tips die............................ K.
    Stunted root growth....................... P.
    Wilting....................................... Cu.

4. Yeah, i thought it looked a bit sickly.
    Its definately got enough water for now, the soil is still pretty moist from the first moving of the plant (I got it in a glass cup, moved it into that pot)
    Right now the soil is just some old potting mixture my mom had in an old pot, some small wood shavings to airate the dirt, and... dirt. Im planning on going to home depot and buying fertilizers and nutrients later today, as well as fresh potting soil for when i move it into the ground.
    Right now im letting it grow in a pot outside, no lamp (I dont have any indoor growing materials at all)
    Thanks for the chart, copied that, printed it out, and hung it up on my wall right away

5. look over water? are u feedin yet? if so, what? if not u should start

6. well it could be because since it is outside, and it's only april, maybe it gets a bit cold at night? not getting enough light/heat?

7. I just got it sunday afternoon, and I know its a bit cold, so i take it in during the night. Should i get a lamp and just grow inside for a few weeks? Or get a lamp to light part of the night for it?

8. The plant could have transplant shock. If your plant is in a completely sunny area you could need to water sooner. If mixed shade/partial sun you might not need to water that often. Google your city and hydroponic. You'll find better fert. there than at the Home Depot. Once the plant is established in it's new pot it will require much more water. Since you just transplanted it and watered you should be good for now.

9. Definitely looks to be lacking some N and over watered. The soil may have shit drainage.

10. #10 oceanbluefree, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2010
    RustyJay, I agree with you about the lack of Nitrogen. That yellowing is classic nitrogen deficiency. Almost every plant in nature gets that yellow look when there isn't enough nitrogen available. As far as your pot goes...It should have 5 half inch holes in the bottom for drainage. I save all my pots from the garden centers. I had to drill 5 holes in a plastic terra cotta looking pot yesterday. It had nothing for drainage. I don't know how far north you live, but everything is green and leafing out here in Maryland. If you are seeing leaves emerging in your area, just leave the plant outside in a South facing area where it will get plenty of sunlight. In the future, don't use just any soil you have around. Everyone on this site uses or recomends Fox Farm soil and so do I. The sympton deficiency list is good. But I wouldn't call it law. Some of the signs could be from light, improper ventilation, to much heat, etc. It is very helpful though. I printed it myself.

11. Would it be worth transplanting the plant into a new pot with potting soil, or leave it as it is?

I dont live north at all; south in fact; Southern cali.
    Drainage is fine, got multiple holes on the bottom.

12. Drainage for the pot is ok but your soil itself seems to drain slow. A lot of people mix perlite in their soil to help drainage or you can just buy the soil with perlite mixed in. I would repot into a better draining soil but hey it's your grow do what you want..
    I live in socal also and you should have no issues with the weather right now.
    Hey, just wanna wish you the best with your grow and once you start growing it is hard to stop. Good luck :D

13. How much should i be watering? I was told 350ml every 4 days, but i have it out where it is really sunny; the soil is somewhat dry underneath.