New Growbox But I think I need a fan upgrade..

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Kirtap, Aug 9, 2013.

1. So I just finished my new box which is 30"L x 20"W x 36"H, so 12.5 cubic feet. I have a passive intake through an 8"x8" darkroom louver. I am growing with 10 23 watt cfls on a diy setup with painted wood reflector. 

The current exhaust fan is a S&P TD-100 which will eventually need to pull through a square diy carbon scrubber that will be situated over the open square hole in the picture.

Everything was going great until I did a temp check. With the sensor placed 5" below the cfl's, the temps rose to the low 90's. The outside air temp was 75 degrees. This is clearly going to be a problem especially after putting in the filter.

Now I was thinking about returning that fan and upgrading to the TD-125, which is twice as powerful for only 20 bucks more (I would run a duct reducer since the 125 is a 5" and the 100 is a 4"). I am hoping this will solve my problem.

Check out the pics and let me know what you guys think! Should I do the upgrade or is there something I am missing? 

Attached Files:

2. Oh and the fan seems like it is moving a lot of air (Of course that is without the filter). When I put my hand near the end of the fan there is a considerable amount of air being moved. The fan is rated for 100 cfm with no static pressure. The louver doesn't add two much because I removed 2 of the panels. I would guess its running at about 60-80 cfm. SO why the fuck are my temps so high 

3. One more thing.. It doesn't actually feel warm inside the box. Nor does it feel very warm when I put my hand under the lights or even on them. So does this mean that the plants will be fine? Will they be okay if the direct light is hot but the ambient temp in the box is not? (Rhymin shit now)..

4. #4 Erbalist, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013
    Whats hot? Door closed? Have you used a thermometter to accurately measure?

5. Yes the answer to your question is in the first post. And you can see the thermometer in the picture with the lights it is 5" away