New grow tent :D

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by VoodooVince64, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Hey everyone! Got this milliard 2.5x2.5 foot tent. Have a dim able 600w mh/hps light. 4" inline fan at bottom, 6" exhaust at top, 120mm PC fan, and another little fan. A sheet of plexi glass to control heat that hits the plant, and have my ducting chillen on my window for now till I get a styrofoam board that'll fit in my window, then the ducts will have actual suction. What are yall opinions? ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416451598.990490.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416451611.604032.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416451625.732666.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416451650.454702.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416451663.728058.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416451677.246677.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416451691.599724.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416451707.046866.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416451719.879486.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Great man you have a nice setup!:) but the plexi isn't really a must it might block the rays getting to your plant :)

3. Personal advice:
    Drop the 4" fan and the plexi don't bother dimming the 600 watts.

Here's why:

Light "falls off" as a function of the square of the distance from source. I'll use 400 watt numbers because I know them, instead of having to calculate them.

a 400 watt MH delivers 32,000 lumens/lux (lumens per square meter direct illumination) at the bulb.

At 18" this is a mere 98 lumens/lux in the direct footprint.

Sunlight's 128,000 lux.

Plants want SUNLIGHT, manufactured light, the issue is HEAT, not light intensity...you want the most illumination you can get for the least heat...currently, that's still best accomplished with HID setups. I can explain if you need.

Plexi is NOT perfectly clear...reduces light, turns some of it to heat (feel your plexi...gets goddamned hot, doesn't it? And it'll get worse over time), becomes a heat source, itself, radiating it off. Plexi's only good if it's one side of an enclosure, so there's light to escape, but you have better ability to remove heat (an enclosed ducted hood)

Lower fan blows air in...do the math...you're passing a volume of air the 4" pushed through a .02 square foot opening...what's that translate into as windspeed? In the wild, who would a plant fare if faced with a CONSTANT storm force wind of that strength? That's what you're doing to them. Negative air pressure will force exterior air into the tent from the bottom...cooler fresh air, at a lower "windspeed", because it'll find a much larger total volume of space to come in from, and not as directly onto the plants.

Top fan...run a duct down from it, directed at the lamp...so the intake draws hot air out OVER the bulb...this takes the hotter air (which rises) out of the tent AND pulls it across the bulb, cooling the bulb (longer life), and preventing more heat from escaping the bulb to reach the plants. Plain old flextible duct and a couple band clamps handles that.

That said...rest of the setup's sweet looking...and my advice is opinion based on the facts I gave you in the "why", take it for what you figure it's worth. But I wouldn't waste electricity to make my plants less happy.

4. Yeah man I hear ya, I'm just a tad desperate, I only got two fans when is like to have 3 or all 4. But at 450w the tent stays at 77-81f but at 600w the temps will rise to 85-90 easy. I've put both fans at bottom now pulling in cool winter air, and I leave the fan sleeves at the top open and erect and with all the air in the tent it gets forced out those holes at the top. I'll take out plexi glass, but I put in a hps last night and woke up this morning and my plant looked all weird. Also this is the first time it's had reflective surface.

5. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416501322.106271.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416501335.022412.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1416501350.174078.jpg

6. Coul it be that the plexi cuts off too much light so the only light the plant is actually getting is from the reflection off the side of the tent? So it's trying to grow out?