New grow started up

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Greyygoose, Jun 21, 2017.

1. so this is my new grow setup, and my first grow journal. growing Purple Trainwreck, Black D.O.G., and Candy Cream, all feminized photo-period seeds. I've already tested my current setup with just one plant of girl scout cookies, and i got three and a half ounces off that with just topping, im expecting to get a higher yield per plant not since these strains are higher yielding and ill be topping and doing SCROG this time around. its a pretty simple setup, 5x5 grow tent, 1000w HID/HPS light, soil im using is STA-GREEN potting soil with fertilizer, and im just using fish emulsion for my nutrients. seeds are 8 days old just transplanted them yesterday from the solo cups i started them in. ive got big plans in the future, planning on getting a second grow tent, as well as a few T5 units so i can flower in the two tents, and do cloning and veg under the T5's but for now this is a pretty good start IMG_20170620_235114.jpg IMG_20170620_224343 (1).jpg IMG_20170620_235100.jpg

2. #2 Robbie714, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Your going to have a packed house with 12/5g pots IMO. They maybe hard to get to once you put the trellis on. It was a pain in ass for me to do a 4 plant ScrOG in a 4x4 using 3 gallon smart pots, but as long as you can get to them all to feed you should be okay. But if you flush it's going to be in your tent, cause they maybe to big to take them out and put them back in, your going to have to be able to reach all the plants. Hope you can get through the other way! I use a shop vac to flush. sometimes less is more, but go for it!
    Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  3. i usually dont flush, i did once and didnt notice any major difference in the bud. I've been debating doing scrog since your right, it would be a very tight fit. still havent decided but at the very least ill be tying down some stems and focus on trimming to try and get a full, even canopy and make sure no plants are getting snuffed out

• Like Like x 1
  4. just bumped the light up to 750 watts and lowered it to 36 inches from the plants. should be topping sometime this week. the plants are now 2 weeks old IMG_20170625_153111.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. You have too many plants for the lighting you have hanging there. It might work OK for now, but if you don't bring it down a little bit, they're all going to run up on stems and stretch pretty big. Right now, they need more heat than light and your light being that far away is going to make them stretch instead of building up slowly and being strong. Light and plant needs to be as close as possible and you shouldn't have to hang your light in the ceiling just to cover all the plants you've got going. How many plants your setup can handle depends on the available lighting you have for the flower cycle. Each plant in flower needs the same even coverage of high wattage/correct spectrum light and plenty of space to spread open as they mature so light can penetrate the canopy and develop out the lower buds. Crowding too many together under one lamp will just shade out plant growth and bud development. You would do much better as far as harvest weight to flower a couple of plants and give them all the good strong light you can, than if you try to flower all these in that space under that one light. Hanging a light too far away just means all the plants under it are going to stretch to try to get to it. Right now, you could be using some plain old flourescent bulbs down close on them. They're building roots and it will be several days before you start to see any real growth above oil level. When roots are in place, you'll see the new growth begin to put on at a faster pace. At that point, you can start hitting them with stronger light. The more mature they are, the more light they can take. But light is the thing that grows the plant and develops out the buds. Nutes are simplly plant food and before you give them, you need to know for sure your plants actually need them. Starting nutes before time just fries your plants...creates stress and they have to recover from it. If you use a good quality grow soil, the soil contains tons of nutrition for the plants and will feed new baby plants for the first several weeks without the need of anything other than water when it dries out. Never water your plant until you can lift the container and it feels light as a feather....regardless of how many days, weeks or months that might take. They don't like roots being wet constantly and need defined wet/dry cycles to stay healthy. That's the biggest killer of plants by new growers. The soil mix you grow in is also important. It needs to be so light and arid that unless you water very slowly, the water just dumps through to the drain tray. Your mix has very little perlite in it and I guarantee you it is loaded up with chemicals too. Stay away from any nutrients for several weeks. Actually, read up on the plant and how to tell if it's even hungry and needs feed. Nutrients can be a great help with the indoor grow, but you better understand how to use them and know when enough is enough unless you want to fry your plants. But good luck. We all started at 0 at some point. Chalk everything up to experience at this point because the more plants you grow, the better you get at it and the more sense it makes. TWW

• Like Like x 1
  6. You have too many plants for the lighting you have hanging there. It might work OK for now, but if you don't bring it down a little bit, they're all going to run up on stems and stretch pretty big. Right now, they need more heat than light and your light being that far away is going to make them stretch instead of building up slowly and being strong. Light and plant needs to be as close as possible and you shouldn't have to hang your light in the ceiling just to cover all the plants you've got going. How many plants your setup can handle depends on the available lighting you have for the flower cycle. Each plant in flower needs the same even coverage of high wattage/correct spectrum light and plenty of space to spread open as they mature so light can penetrate the canopy and develop out the lower buds. Crowding too many together under one lamp will just shade out plant growth and bud development. You would do much better as far as harvest weight to flower a couple of plants and give them all the good strong light you can, than if you try to flower all these in that space under that one light. Hanging a light too far away just means all the plants under it are going to stretch to try to get to it. Right now, you could be using some plain old flourescent bulbs down close on them. They're building roots and it will be several days before you start to see any real growth above oil level. When roots are in place, you'll see the new growth begin to put on at a faster pace. At that point, you can start hitting them with stronger light. The more mature they are, the more light they can take. But light is the thing that grows the plant and develops out the buds. Nutes are simplly plant food and before you give them, you need to know for sure your plants actually need them. Starting nutes before time just fries your plants...creates stress and they have to recover from it. If you use a good quality grow soil, the soil contains tons of nutrition for the plants and will feed new baby plants for the first several weeks without the need of anything other than water when it dries out. Never water your plant until you can lift the container and it feels light as a feather....regardless of how many days, weeks or months that might take. They don't like roots being wet constantly and need defined wet/dry cycles to stay healthy. That's the biggest killer of plants by new growers. The soil mix you grow in is also important. It needs to be so light and arid that unless you water very slowly, the water just dumps through to the drain tray. Your mix has very little perlite in it and I guarantee you it is loaded up with chemicals too. Stay away from any nutrients for several weeks. Actually, read up on the plant and how to tell if it's even hungry and needs feed. Nutrients can be a great help with the indoor grow, but you better understand how to use them and know when enough is enough unless you want to fry your plants. But good luck. We all started at 0 at some point. Chalk everything up to experience at this point because the more plants you grow, the better you get at it and the more sense it makes. TWW

7. I think you will have a much better yield if it matters to you that is, if you ScrOG them I think it maybe easier IMO. As long as you can tuck your leaves on all your plants and can get to them all you should be fine. But it would be easier of course with less plants. But I know Good Growers who pack there tent with plants with Good results. Like mentioned use CFL's when they get bigger for any shaded areas. when I was doing a 4 plant multi-strain ScrOG I bought a 2 gallon sprayer that has a long wand so I could get reach all my plants. It's cost $11 on Amazon and is the best sprayer to feed your plants. Can you get through the back way of your tent? If you can I would ScrOG it but that's just me. If you place them out so there in rows of 4 it will give you a little more room to work with.

Btw: what nutes are you using? Unless you're making up your own soil which you're not. Plants need to be flushed! You won't see a difference in the buds but you'll be flushing all of the salt buildup and nutrients you have been feeding them the whole Grow it's essential to flush as the MJ Will have a much better smell and smoke a lot better you could always tell that someone flushes if you smoke a joint or bowl and the Ash is white! If not your Ash will be black or dark gray and it won't burn right. You go light on your nutes towards the end of flower. And feed them Unsulfured molasses and tap water with 15%-20% run off. So you could just give a lite flush. You won't regret flushing if you want a good final product in the end. This is what I got to feed my plants it works much better then gallon jugs! Amazon.com : Chapin 20002 Poly Lawn and Garden Sprayer For Fertilizer, Herbicides and Pesticides, 2 Gallon : Patio, Lawn & Garden
    Good Luck

8. Yeah, I can get through both sides of the tent, I bought the watering tank thing with the wand a couple weeks ago. The only nutes I'm using is fish emulsion. It worked great on my last grow, which was just one plant, girl scout cookies, and I got three and a half ounces off it with just topping and tying down some of the stems. Ill probably end up flushing, but I'm not worrying about that till later in the grow

9. I have a fish fertilizer I bought 2 years ago it's suppose to be good for veg. I don't no too much about fish emulsion. But you could get General hydroponics it's 3 bottles and cost $23-24 The bigger bottles you get the cheaper it is. I use FF trio, I was going to switch over to General hydroponics but I'm going to start making my own soil because I mainly do ScrOG Grows and flushing is a Pain in the ass to do in your tent. That's why I making soil because you don't have to flush your plants at harvest time. But like you said when that time comes that's when you cross that bridge. Here's what I was talking abouthttps://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01I4U0NYK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498517127&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=General+hydroponics+nutrients+for+soil&dpPl=1&dpID=51O7iwdS%2B7L&ref=plSrch he gets great reviews a lot of people use it with great results if you're growing all them plants you want to use good nutes IMO.
    Good Luck

10. forgot to update my grow journal for a while, but no better time like the present. all twelve plants have been doing well, two of them are a little shorter than id prefer but due to growing multiple different strains at once i had to start flowering a little sooner than id have preferred, and i also forgot to top one of my plants so im loosing a bit of product there, and worried about that one getting to tall. all in all though this grow has been good so far. plants might look a little close, but i check them every day to make sure there's no plants with overlapping leaves. Didn't really commit to the scrog, i just used the trellis and some plant ties to train the plants a little. i did learn some lessons for next time, mainly no more than two similar strains per grow tent. I'm picking out the seeds im ordering for the next grow, planning on growing some gorilla bomb, blueberry headband, and pineapple express.
    The Sta-Green potting soil ive been using is also working very well, im sure ill get a better harvest when i start making my own soil or when i switch to hydroponics, but for cheap soil this stuff has been working very well, no nutrient burn or noticeable deficiency, the only issue is that flushing my plants is going to be a bit of a pain. ill update more in a week or so, then again before and after harvest.
    IMG_20170718_184054.jpg