new grow set up

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by wengmastachung, May 26, 2009.

1. Hey guys. This is my second shot at growing. My first one didnt end up so hot, mostly because i vegged them a little to long, used bag seed( which ended up being a sativa which didnt like being in a 3 foot tall enclosure), used flo sticks, had to move the plants in the middle of veging to a new home then got moved back at the end of flowering which fucked up the 12/12. However, now i know better so im going at this one full force!

As far as seeds go, i have a 10 pack of nightshade from barneys farm, a 5 pack of northern lights special from KC Brains, 5 G-13 labs thai S-skunk, and 1 g13 Skunk #1 Fem.
    I have all those in my possesion now so that is all set.

for my box i am using a 34 1/4 inch wide by 34 1/4 inch high by 9 inches deep wooden box that is painted all white on the inside. I am (depnding on the price) gonna line most of the inside walls with some mylar to maximize reflection.

What i want to do ( as seen in the beautifully drawn MS paint pic) is having a 1 foot wide section of the box be used for the Skunk #1 fem seed and have that be trained into a mother i can use for clones so i dont have to keep going from seeds. Ill have a Cfl light on her at all times running 18/6. Since i know its gonna be a female i can start it off in a big enough pot and just keep it veging its whole life.

in the other 2 foot section im gonna try to get 3 plants, one of each other type of seed i have growing. I will prob. use 3 high wattage cfls on these 3 plants and will switch over to 3 warm light cfls when they are ready to flower.

in between the 2 sections i want to have 2 pvc elbows so that air from the mother room can flow to the grow room and then exit out the carbon scrubber filter hole i make at the top of the box. ( i might just put a fan and pvc pipe there to begin with and attach the carbon scrubber as they get closer to flowering since they wont really smell at first and i dont want to spend to much money right away)

I will have 2 computer fans, 1 on the grow side and 1 on the mom side that i can attach to a power supply i pilfered from my old computer. Im not sure where to put the power supply tho, its kinda big but i dont want it out of the box where it might attract attention.

I have a Max/min thermo and humidity checker i will keep in the box.

As far as soil goes, at my current disposal i have shultz moisture plus potting mix, miracle grow perlite, and organic topsoil. the last set of plants i used only the shultz and the plants didnt seem to have any problems so i might go with that again, but if you guys think i should use some other combo, i wouldnt be opposed to trying it.

So tell me what you guys think, if you check my first grow album you can see the box in action, but ill link a couple pics now of the inside/outside of box plus the P.supply and my plan.

Attached Files:

2. on second thought, there will probobly be room above the mother plant where i can put a power strip and my power supply for the fans. Ill prob just drill holes out of the power area where i can run the wires to the other areas of the box with pvc elbows so light doesnt get infiltrate areas it doesnt belong.

3. Question: What type of fans do you suggest getting. I dont want to spend a good deal of money on fans but i dont want to short change myself either. Id prefer ones that fit directly into my power supply so i dont have to buy adapters. And as far as wiring goes im a COMPLETE noob. thanks

4. Another question: Do you think i should just scrap the power source and hook the fans up to a normal ac dc plug. I heard its not to hard to do that. I do like how there are 2 fans on the power supply though, it might work well as ceiling fan once the plants start growing if i mount it up high in the box.

5. I personally would just wire up the fans to a dc converter box if you can. I've heard of other people using power supplies from pcs to power their fan, but it seems like an awful waste of power just for a couple of pc fans... Also power supplies get hot on their own, that's why the one you have has two fans inside. It seems like you would be adding heat to the cabinet faster than your pc fans could remove it.

6. thanks, i went with your suggestion. The power supply was to bulky anyway.