New grow room, simple question.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by chrisslams87, Nov 25, 2009.

1. #1 chrisslams87, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2009
    I am currently building a grow room that will be 4'x8' and 7' tall. I've got everything figured out but I'm not sure if my lights are going a bit overkill or not. I'll be using 2 of the 400 watt MH bulbs, spread evenly in the room of course, and growing all that the room will allow. I have a 4in duct fan blowing fresh air in and a 4in duct fan with a carbon filter sucking air out. I also have a window a/c unit mounted on the side and an oscillating fan to keep it cool/regulate the airflow. I plan on growing Sensi-Seeds Super Skunk.

My questions are:

• If each light covers its own 4'x'4 area, is that too much light or just right?

• For anyone who has grown a skunk strain, approximately how many plants would be just enough for a 4'x8' area and not overcrowding?

• Also, do you have to change bulbs from MH to HPS between vegetative and flowering stages or is it fine to stay with MH?

Thanks

2. 2 600s would be much better for a 4x8 (providing that is the grow footprint, not the room size). 2 1000s is the best for that size, but 2 600s will get the job done. 21 is a good number if using 5 gallon pots and proper lighting for the size grow.
    You can stay with MH the whole way, we did it long ago that way before HPS was popular. You will have smaller buds normally, but the potency is usually a little better. Ideally, Use of MH for veg and switching to 12/12 leaving MH in use for the first 2 weeks, then switch to HPS until the last 2 weeks and go back to MH for the finish. I like this method, but it is usually not feasible for most to do. The MH for the first 2 weeks of flower really cuts down on the stretch, the MH at the end really makes the trichromes come out.

3. First off, thanks guys. Loving the GC community so far. Tons of knowledge here.

I'm using an organic mixture of clay pellets and soil while using the Sensi grow, Sensi bloom, and big bud powder nutrients.

I've grown on a very small scale before and have been researching a larger grow for about a year now. I have put myself aside a good $3k and am ready to produce. I'm also going to go with changing the bulbs in the manner you say. I believe I have it right, Veg = MH. Flower= 2 weeks MH, switch to HPS, last 2 weeks MH.

:smoke:

4. sounds like you have the budget, so i'd go ahead and get a digital ballast, runs hps @ mh. digital ballast have a number of advantages, but as always that's up for debate:rolleyes:
    chetto

5. If I may, I would go with a better setup for your money. \
    They sell a ValuLine Ballast wing reflector combo 1000watts switchable ballast for a little more money, but it is switchable, no conversion bulb needed, just a plain 1000watt MH bulb, and it has a 5year warranty @discount-hydro.com. Great customer service, never have issues with warranty exchange (pay with a credit card and they will send a shipping label and the new ballast and you ship the old one back. The chromeie reflectors are not ideal and create hot spots. Pebble spectral aluminum is what is best as it diffuses the light better. I think the last time I looked they were around 280, but well worth it, they are good quality, I have 2 600s and a 400 that are the same thing.

Are you getting a pair of 1000s, or are you changing the footprint of your grow?

6. I'm changing my grow room size to 8'w x 5'd and 7' tall for a little more room to operate. That website is exactly what I was searching for, I really appreciate it.

I'll be using 2, 1000w ValuLine Ballast w/ LumenAire 6" Reflector and getting the 1000w MH bulb add on; will run about $700. I want the extra room so that I may add a 3rd in the room after a successful grow. I found this picture that somewhat resembles how the lights will be set up, but closer together so there is no gap in lighting. I'm hoping between the 2 lights I'll be able to cover about 10-15 plants comfortably.

• How is my plan looking so far?

also

• Will pulling 2000w on lighting alone throw up signals to my power company?
    [​IMG]

7. The power company is a "for" profit business and will gladly take your money. A two bedroom house can easily utilize (2) 1000 watt lights without any issues. If the power company see's a large spike in power from your home they may call you first. NEVER under any circumstances deny the extra power usage or say something dumb like "I have no idea why my usage has gone up". Say something clever like "I recent started learning to wield. I had no idea it would use so much energy, but it's still pretty exciting." Then the power company won't send out a tech to inspect.

I also agree that for the size space you have (2) 1000 watters will workout nicely. If you have the cash also get a DC Inverted mini split air conditioner with heat pump 2 ton cooling capacity. That will cool the room nicely and control humidity without having ventilation duct work. When the lights are off the heat pump will keep the off temp perfect resulting in better harvest.

8. ^ what they said about the power usage. By the way, love the name, it is exactly what our plants do when in need of magnesium, they look like they are praying up asking for it.

I would say that if you are designing this grow in a bedroom, put it on the wall with the window and get a widow AC for $100.
    Glad to see you found what you need. I use the lumeaire6 and it is fantastic, I only wish I had 1000 watters. Air cooling the lights separately from the room is a great advantage over traditional setups. If you choose to cool the room and the lights together do not use the glass in the lum6s but draw air from them like large vacuum heads above the plants which is what I am about to do and currently do with one light. Good choice, only reflector I like better is the ones Nukem uses, the hydrofarm AC6, unfortunately we can not get those with our ballasts.

9. I have a setup area similar in size with 2-1000w HPS water cooled lights. The more light the better yield, in my opinion. You just need to make sure you can cool the room sufficiently. If you go with the 1000w lights, ventilate w/ 6" ducts. If you are going to use just 1 bulb, go with the HPS, not the MH. I fit 18 Indica dominant plants tightly in a 3 x 6' tray within that 4 x 8' area.
    Good luck