new grow need advice

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Florida Boi, Mar 1, 2013.

1. So, the area will be my bathroom :)

Ripper seeds DOUBLE GLOCK x2 plants.

Need advice on...

Cfl or 150w hps ?
    I want a good yield and I would like to you keep the electric bill down

Soil or rockwool ?

Nutrients?

any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. These are decisions you have to make for yourself, Holmes. We can't grow for you.

HPS, soil and yeah, use nutrients.

3. Having a good yield will cost you in electricity that's the law of growing pot. The rest is trial and error

4. in your opinion which 1 of the 2 lights would you use 150 hps or 125 Cfl

5. It's honestly not that expensive, especially compared to buying pot. Ok, so I have a 400w HPS and a large room air purifier (never again will I have powdery mildew). Let's say I use 600w total, 12 hrs a day, at 10 cents/kWh.

0.6kW x 12h x 30 days = 216kWh x $0.10 kW/h elec. rate = $21.60 a month in Electricity. In 6 months I can probably grow at least a half pound, probably more.

Don't do CFL...honestly unless you are under ideal conditions, its a huge waste of time and money. I wasted a year playing around with CFLs and finally gave up. Once I realized what it was going to cost actually, as opposed to my perceived cost (thought it would be much higher) I immediately switched.

6. Here's a couple of threads worth your time to check out - but of course I am biased towards organics...lol

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-m...door-gardening-without-bottled-nutrients.html

And

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1116550-easy-organic-soil-mix-beginners.html

No spending money on bottled nutrients, no checking or worrying about pH or adjusting pH, no mixing up batches of nutrients, no flushing - just high quality organic goodness. Keep your soil moist with plain dechlorinated tap water and you're good to go.

Oh, and btw, I 110% agree with Poobrick regarding CFLs and HPS. Go with the HPS, and honesty I would go bigger than 150 watts. Get yourself a 400. Lighting means a lot in a garden, don't waste your money and then decide you need more later; just get it done right the first time.

J

7. 400w hps minimum....it'll cost you 50$ a month in veg and 25$ in flower.

8. okay so 400 HPS, not to ask too many questions but what's the best place to purchase 1 from

9. also when does the smell get really intense

10. 3-5 weeks into flower. I recommend a local shop that stands behind their product....so if it breaks....return it.

11. thanks guys I really appreciate all of the advice, keep it coming hopefully next week I will start my Grow.

12. I like HTG supply stores. See if there is one in your area. DONT BUY LIGHTS ONLINE! even if you have to drive for a couple hours DO IT! It's a lot better then the DEA knocking on your front door and asking you questions about why you need a light that is commonly used to cultivate marijuana... one whiff of pot and you get walked out of your own house in handcuffs.

13. ^great point^ plus I like to support local business as much as possible.

14. [quote name='"OneFreeMan"']I like HTG supply stores. See if there is one in your area. DONT BUY LIGHTS ONLINE! even if you have to drive for a couple hours DO IT! It's a lot better then the DEA knocking on your front door and asking you questions about why you need a light that is commonly used to cultivate marijuana... one whiff of pot and you get walked out of your own house in handcuffs.[/quote]

Nobody is going to knock on your door for ordering a light online. You are actually more likely to get tailed leaving a hydro store. Law enforcement agencies do not have the resources to check every debit card in their locality to see if you purchased a light.

Plus, your talking to a cop in case you don't recognize the "thin blue line" symbol for his avatar. He wouldn't get searched or go to jail regardless.

15. oh yes I totally agree on that, I do not feel like answering any unnecessary knocks on my door ;-)

I do have a worm's way in my area and of course Home Depot. from what I can tell my budget is only going to allow me 100 dollars at the most for the light.... I did see Home Depot has a 150w high pressure sodium for less than 100 dollars and from what I'm hearing from everyone is stay away from the CFL.

16. being a retired police officer does not allow me any perks lol if anything they're harder on me.

17. [quote name='"Florida Boi"']

being a retired police officer does not allow me any perks lol if anything they're harder on me.[/quote]

Then you are the rare exception.

18. yes sir I am lol

then again I've never looked to marijuana as a drug, IMO

19. HTG is a good company, the only issue with ordering their light systems would be how they package the bulbs. Many of them are damaged in shipping, but they are really cool about returns. Only issue is they make you send the bulb back first, so you could potentially be without a bulb for 7-10 days. They may have a workaround to that now (buy then refund, etc.), its been two years since I got mine. You can buy a small box of orchid or general purpose fert, use the little scoop (1/4 or 1/2 tsp) per 2 liters every other water.

If you budget only allows for a 150w system, then get it. You can always add another light in the future (assuming space allows). A 150w bulb could provide decent supplemental light, something I am thinking of doing at the moment. And mylar film (get 25ft roll, cost efficent and enough for a full tent! Mylar is an excellent reflector and lets you get the most out of your lights, it really makes a big difference. If you can't afford it now, save up for it. Your yields will increase noticeably.

20. [quote name='"Florida Boi"']

yes sir I am lol

then again I've never looked to marijuana as a drug, IMO[/quote]

Still the point is valid. How many people did you see get busted solely based on buying a light online? It just doesn't happen unless your selling weed or you get turned in by someone who knows you.

By the way, if going floro home depot sells a 4' 4 bulb t5 for $89 plus bulbs. You just have to wire in a power cord.

If hps, I would order online. The home depot hps is made to be a security light, and you would be better off with something designed to grow plants. Htg is good, Amazon as well and both ship discretely.

http://www.htgsupply.com/Category-250---175---150-Watt-Magnetic-Grow-Light-Systems.asp