New Grow Fridge need cooling help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by fustball, Dec 8, 2010.

1. ok, so i built a growbox out of an old fridge my buddy gave me, everything is working out well except I have to run it with the doors cracked open or it gets 90-100 degrees in there. I have (4) 120 mm computer fans running inside for circulation(2 are on the plants and 2 are on the light hood) For ventilation I have a 6 in inline duct fan in the top right hand corner with and elbow attached to it and I will be having a DIY carbon filter attached at the end of that. I am running (4) 85 watt CFLS. Anyone have any good and cheap ideas to bring the temp down? I was considering hanging a bucket of ice in there but i was high when i thought about it and the more i keep thinking about it the more and more dumb it sounds. perhaps a second ventilation fan?

Attached Files:

2. lol, you have problems lowering temps in a fridge?
    now thats some serious irony right there. xD

well first you gotta think about whats causing the heat problem. is it the lights?

nice setup btw

3. #3 fustball, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2010
    Thank you : ) And yes my heat is caused from my lights, but my problem more or less stems more out to ventilation. If i leave my doors cracked an inch i run around 75-78 but if i close the doors making my fridge lightproof and smellproof as any growbox should be, i run anywhere from 90-100. I would like to fix this problem without doing anything with the lights. I'm thinking a suitable fix would be another fan but that involves another $30 and cutting another big ass hole in the fridge, which is a pain in my arse, not to mention added noise. just wondering if anyone had some other ideas.

4. I think you're going to end up cutting another hole and putting in a bigger exhaust fan. also, do you have air intakes at the bottom? honestly, I'd spend about $100 on a good 100 cfm fan if you can afford it, you wont regret it.