New Grow Box IDEA HELP

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by GrowinGovernment, May 7, 2013.

1. soo the time has come, im finally running out of bud from my first grow which was over a year ago, and im moving out. so you know what that means folks.....its time to build a new box and set up and do it all over again.

so heres what im thinking this time and would love some input.

for my first grow i used CFLs which i bought online and at hd.... i grew 4 plants (had to kill one cause i thought it had TMV and didnt wanna put all the other babies in risk) so it was really 3 plants when i finished..... i got excited and rushed the curing, amateur move i know.... but the smoke came out real nice and i was very pleased with my 7.5 ounces of herb when it was all said and done.

for this grow i wanna change things up a bit.... i was looking into different lighting sources while i was mid way through my first grow and saw a lot of hubbub about LEDs.... now i see more LED threads have popped up and some love the results others dont.... but being that i have to try and one up everyone i wanna take this LED thing to a whole new level.

i want to get individual 3ft by 2inch LED strips... i know i need to have the certain levels on the spectrum...the red and the blue... and without going too much into the reqs i found a wholesaler on alibaba that will sell me the right spectrum strips to make this possible...

basically what i am getting at is i want to line the entire box with these strips.... from head to toe along the walls and ceiling of the new box and see how it works....

my theory behind this is simple.... when u have an over head ballast or over heading lighting in general you get penetration of the canopy to an extent... but once that max extent is reached your basically leaving the underlyings of the canopy to just chill and not really max out their potential.... but if one was to provide the right light at every possible angle it would allow the ENTIRE plant to max out the buds and increase yield...

im basing this off of my last grow where i (had a total of 500watts worth of cfls) put 250 watts on the ceiling, and 125 watts on the right and left side of my box and would rotate the plants.... i found that instead of having one huge cola on top i had a larger cola up top and NICE sized buds on the inner layings of my plants

unfortunately i have no experience with LEDs aside from flashlights and what not so im gonna have to do some readin unless one of yall can help me out...but thats my basic theory

now to make this possible i have to completely scrap my beautiful box that i built on my last grow.... it just would look out of place in my new apartment..... its legit a wooden box, looks like a safe, with a trap door...so that wont fly...

im thinking about either A) retro fitting an old soda vending machine...yano the ones with the all covered front...or B) getting a large clothing closet thing (Armour?) and gutting it to make this al possible.... the actual building aspect of this wont be hard as i have been working with wood my entire life, i have every power tool known to man basically lol, i know how to wire electrical boxes and things of that nature...

basically what im asking for is input.... should i actually go ahead and do this?? or is my theory implausible and not worth testing

2. If you know how and have ability to, I say go for it. Usually the only thing that stops people from starting new projects is finances and knowledge. If you have the finances and the ability to build it your almost there. Just do it bro.

3. like i said i have the means to do it.... im more concerned about if im just wasting my time toying with the idea of LEDs and if anyone else has tried to light the under belly of the canopy for an increased/more consistent yeild....

there seems to be a lot of discrepancies between LED grows and people on the topic in general... fluffier buds stuff like that.... im going to be getting BOMB A$$ seeds so im not looking to get schwag lol

4. I'm far from an expe rt at growing, but I do know more light to buds = more yield. Getting more lights to those lower buds is the reason for scrogin. With light on the bottom, no need. There gettin all the light it can take. Just MHO. Oh yeah by the way I love the retro vending machine idea.

5. yeah i figured lol... i still prolly gonna end up scrogging only because i liked the way my last grow went with the restriction of growth and it forced more colas for me as its supposed to

and the soda machine idea i have been toying with for over a year since my last grow... its one of the coolest ideas imo... hiding in plain sight... problem is they are heavy and draw attention but well see what happens im not set on the idea but i like it right now

ive been looking at some of these prefabbed grow boxes.... like the stealth closet things... and i like hte idea of having two separate compartments one for vegging and one for flowering but thats space consuming so im up in the air on that

i really need to start looking at where im gonna put it in the apartment/ figure out what the deal is with inspections and what not... not that im worried about getting caught but i dont wanna have to think about it yano

6. I've been thinking about new ideas for a stelath grow also. Only original idea I came up with is a washer and dryer machine....since we just bought a new set and still had the old ones out back. My wife is the only one that does laundry so I'll just have to remind her to use the new ones lol.

7. that would work well lol.... although it might be hard to get in there to tend to the plants

my problem is i dont want to just do one plant at a time.... it just seems silly to me so i need a space large enough to do 3-4 plants at a time

then the hard part becomes which seeds to use

8. I feel you on the more than one plant thing. I'm thinking two or three. I'm thinking about getting some fruits of the god seeds or cannasutra. what you got in mind for this grow?

9. DNA genetics Secret Sour.... BOMB SEEDS widow bomb...G13 LABS og13 and BARNEYS FARM pinapple chunk

my checkout cart has 18 strains right now haha and another 8 freebies....i figure this check out will last me quite some time to say the least....but those 4 are what i wanna get in dirt right away

10. Sounds fucking nice bro. I have to wait a couple months because I'm moving soon and the state of Virginia is fucking nuts with the marijuana laws....fucking insane. What beans did you crack last grow and how did out treat you?

11. i did 4 last year.... i did sleestack og, medi #2, bluberry gum, and like some kush crossbreed type thing i forget the name it was ok....

they all cracked... they all made it through veg, about a week into flower the sleestack didnt look right to me and i got high and started trolling and freaked out thinking it had TMV and was going to kill the rest of them so i cut it and got rid of it....turns out it was ust a little nute burn/light making the leaves look that way hehe so i ended up with 3 plants

when i cut them i got excited and rushed the drying process.... instead of letting them dry out riht i threw them under my lights for 24 hours and dried the crap out of them haha.... i ended up with 7.5 oz when all was said and done.... and it was real good smoke

i made some rookie mistakes as to be expected but i had plenty of bud and im not a heavy smoker.... i like to smoke at the end of the day and just loaf on the couch so it works...that weed is just now running out actually which is why i have reappeared.

but yeah VA is crazy with their laws....NJ is just as bad although we are getting better i think.... fortunately for me i dont really do anything to draw attention to myself.... I do not sell under any circumstances so my name is never out there yano...everything i do is for me and like buddies but only when they are staying the night and what not

im very cautious and calculating haha.... and i found that when your not slinging you really dont need to worry unless your going around telling the world your doin it... its just a hobby of mine lol