New Grasscity Feature - Mentions

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by Lizard King, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Hey Blades

We are starting to introduce new functionality on new system.

On our new system every user will have an option to mention another user. In order to do so you need to use @ trigger just prior to username in your post. When you do that other user will receive a notification Droplr .

Mention Notification is a user controlled setting anyone can choose to configure Droplr
    You can receive an inline site notification , receive an e-mail notification , receive both e-mail and inline notification or receive no notification at all.

There is also an option directly to mention a user within clicking @Mention inside their post : Droplr

2. Very nice, was hoping for something like this.

Queue all the kids whining about it being like twitter.

3. :D :smoke: :D

4. Yeah...who cares...

I never use Twitter, so I couldn't care less...

The mention feature is nice 'cause you can use it to pull a specific member into a thread if you want/need them there...better than having to hunt them down...:cool:

5. I like the idea of this feature very much. They use a similar feature on Google+, and I like it. When I share something someone else posts, it allows me to give that person credit for the post/idea, and alerts them that they've been mentioned so they can see what was said if they want to. This feature could be great for long debate threads, like the kind often found in our Politics forum. :)

6. I think it could be a blessing in the grow sections...so many times I've run across a question and though...hmmm...*insert name here* would be the perfect person to answer this question...:cool:

7. i could also see it being abused by trolls, say someone mentions alot of people and all these people get notifications for no reason, is there any troll-proofing measures taking place?

8. As mentioned on first post , you can simply disable the notification option or add the abusive user to your ignore lost to resolve issue

9. Not sure if this is the right place, but what's going to happen to the users rep, infractions, etc. Is that going to be transferred along with the databases?

10. #10 jmick, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2013
    Maybe there could be an opt out for this feature? Or if there is still an ignore feature maybe that could be used to stop some users from including you?

11. You can flat out turn off the notifications for mention, so if anyone mentions you, you will not be notified...also, I think gnik said that if someone is on your ignore list and mentions you, you will not be notified...;)

12. Granny is going to go nuts!

She's going to be pulled everywhere!

13. I've been waiting for this feature haha. Sweeeet.

14. Except 90% the people are probably gonna get confused and try @granny instead of using her proper username...:laughing:

15. It's not the worst thing to copy some of the successes of twitter. I'm surprised GC doesn't have an investor relations page for those interested in them as a platform of future counter culture social media, not just pipes. But it's not my business.

16. Maybe its just me, but I have never mentioned anyone in a thread.. Maybe in a reply to someone, it would be pretty cool... Guess I'll just have to wait and see. :)

17. Great! I was just wanting to use this type of feature the other day! Thanks GC for all the cool updates! Change makes me apprehensive but I am excited for this and can't wait to get it all into action! Keep it up guys!

Peace :wave:

18. im with you on this i dont really remember user names all that well but i dont think this is a bad thing i do think it will go unused unless you are giving credit to some one

19. I don't know personally, but maybe the system is like that with Twitter where you begin the name and it gives you suggestions, similar to using the search on Google.

20. Didn't think it had auto-complete, so I just checked and it doesn't...you have to type the whole thing...no suggestions...