New Glassblower: Appreciate any tips from experienced pipe makers-pics coming soon

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by weedlands718, May 21, 2011.

1. Whats up I just started blowing glass last week. i ordered a bunch of stuff online and im really stoked. However, Im having trouble getting color onto the clear borosilicate tubing. I wrap it on somewhat decently with a colored glass rod, but I cant seem to melt it in! Also I am having a bit of trouble closing open ends for the bowl end of pipes. Any tips/help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

2. what torch and kiln are you working with

3. I have a National 8M torch..no kiln.. just ceramic fiber blanket

4. Thats what i started with too, i wouldn't do anything with color besides making Christmas ornament icicles before you get better and get a kiln. Cant make much without a kiln tho. Alot of your stuff with color will crack without a kiln. What size tubes of boro do you have? and do you only have the sm7 tip? The sm21 is good for more heat.

But within a couple months you will be wanting a bigger hotter flame and upgrade to the redmax or cc. i actually have a redmax im not using if you ever want to upgrade your set up.

But get a kiln!

5. oh really man i cant do much with color without a kiln? dude that sucks cause theyre really expensive and I didnt plan on getting one for many months. Andyea i was planning on getting an SM 21 tip. But I mean i cn string color on somewhat but melting it in is a problem..

6. They are pretty expensive, you can do stuff with color but at your level its gunna crack almost every time unless the color is melted in alot more and even then it will probably crack eventually. Kilns are really expensive and i still dont even have a "legit" glass kiln. I use a ceramic kiln i got for free on craigslist i modified, it works great but im buying a new one soon.

post some pictures of the stuff you made, mabe i can make ya a video to help ya out if there isnt anyone near to show ya.

7. hey man thanks alot, video would be really helpful. Ill have some pics up in the next week or two.