New Gardening Hobby

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Foxymel, Mar 17, 2019.

1. I don’t have any questions. I just wanted to talk about my new and profound love for gardening. And not just MJ! It’s something me and my daughter do together and it’s awesome for us to be able to share this and a great way to have a teenager want to hang out with her mom! We’ve been growing things from seed and already planted. I think the most fun is from seed and I actually use the germination method for seeds and it works great on other plants.

We started out with veggies and herbs. The fastest and easiest has been Basil. Here’s a list of food plants:

winter squash, which now has big beautiful flowers growing, rainbow carrots, heirloom and other types of tomatoes, spinach, strawberries, basil, lavender, catnip, dill, cilantro, chamomile

And flowers: geraniums, sunflowers, marigolds, petunias, 3 different kinds of roses, celosia, cosmos, dianthus, portulaga, azalea, blue daze blue wonder hybrid. And we’re planting 2 trees: lemon and crape myrtle

And yes, went a little crazy with plant shopping. Something I’m really happy about is at Lowe’s we got a bunch of sad looking half dead plants for 50 cents and within a day they perked up and are looking happy. Got a ton of soil and soil amendments. So starting with a base and going from there. We went to a nursery and got the crape myrtle on sale from $69 to $15! And thanks to the advice of someone who works there got some chicken manure, which I’ve never heard of anyone using.

Our dog is a digger. And he has dug holes which are a good size for planting the trees! Had to be careful with looking up toxicity of plants and flowers. Anything growing in the back yard has to be nontoxic to animals. Front yard is for the toxic plants like azaleas and most of the flowers. The marigolds are all going in the backyard for pest control assistance.

Sorry about such a long post but I’m really excited about my new gardening ventures. Next step is planting and transplanting, including my three Auto AK-47 seedlings. After that I’m on to figuring out companion planting. Priorities are ones used for pest control. We have a carpet of full grown basil and grown marigolds. Thinking about planting dill in same pot as My MJ plants. Any ideas and suggestions in that are welcome as are any comments in my gardens. If you made it through this extra long post sorry and thank you!

• Like Like x 4
  2. We do Carrots, Radishes, Beets, Tomatoes and Cannabis. Roses, Daffs, Daises and Gladiolas.
    If your growing cannabis outside companion planting won't be enough.
    Green Cure for the Powdery Mildew.
    upload_2019-3-17_10-23-48.png
    BT for the caterpillars.
    upload_2019-3-17_10-23-23.png
    Apply both once a week.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  3. I haven’t had either one of those-knock on wood-but it’s goid to know what to use if I do! I’ve just seen little bugs on my girls. A small amount of leaf discoloration on 2 of my MJ plants and some yellowing leaves on the sunflower seedlings.

I bought a daffodil plant and it stopped making flowers after a week and isn’t dead but doesn’t look super healthy. What kind of beets and tomatoes do you have? I that’s not that big but already has some little tomatoes coming out. I never knew there were so many types of tomatoes! I just bought a cherry tomato plant do you have?

4. I love gardening in Spring! The garden looks beautiful, and I plant a bunch of new plants, and spread compost and wood chips. By mid-summer, I am cursing the garden, the heat is stressing the plants, insects are munching on the leaves, and I am killing them with too much or too little water. We have heavy clay soil, and I have tried to add amendments for three years, and it's still heavy clay. Also, the moles come out to disturb the soil around the roots. Stlll, it's fun to be outdoors and gardening is great exercise. I'm crazy about native oregon plants, douglas firs, gary oaks, flowering currents, vine maples, salal, ocean spray, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. My tomatoes are having some heat issues. It’s Florida and it’s only going to get hotter! But they are growing tomatoes!! A lot of them. They’re very thirsty plants. I guess I would be too! I gave them nutes and watered them and they went crazy the next day. There’s supposed to be a lot of similarities between growing tomatoes and MJ and I can see it. I need to get a handle on supporting my tomato plants. I went to the dollar store and they had so many gardening supplies! Pots up to 3-4 gallon size. Stakes, the very best trimming scissors. A lot of other stuff. It’s really super cool watching my tomato plants growing tomatoes after being grown from seed. I got a bunch of Nature’s Care organic soil two for ten dollars at Home Depot. They had spring Black Friday so I stocked up.

I have a ton of basil growing and they just started sprouting tiny white flowers at the top. I killed my squash plants by trying to trim dead leaves and accidentally cutting through a main vine. Oh well it was taking up a lot of room. I’m replacing them with rainbow carrots.

What are you growing? I have some kind of bug that really likes to chomp on tomato leaves. Tomatoes are one of those Thai always forgot at the store. I can’t wait til they’re ripe and I can just go outside and pick some beautiful organically grown tomatoes!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Florida is probably great for tomatoes! They love heat and sun, and they taste so much better than store bought. I found a few products that are great for pests. Spinosad is a bacterial spray that kills a lot of bugs and is safe for veggies. Also diatomaceous earth is great for slugs and mites. My wife is growing lettuce, but I stick with native plants. Food wise, I have huckleberry, thimbleberry, salal, and serviceberry.
    Good luck with your crop!

7. Great post OP. There is nothing like the garden.

• Like Like x 1