New gardener question about coco

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jeffabides, Jun 2, 2011.

1. So I am currently germing a seed (just slowly working into this lol) I have everything prepared, but I am unsure of what to do when the seedling sprouts in the coco. I am using the paper towel/ziploc bag method to germ and putting it in a 75%coco and 25% perlite. I am under the impression that because there are no nutrients in the coco, it is good for growing babies. But when my plants are ready for nutes, (going organic btw; ffof soil) do I just transplant the plant into the soil mix? Should I carefully wash off the coco? I've read that coco is good at sucking up nutes; so I figure even if it's in the soil mix it will still pass food to my roots...but I just wanted to confirm. Thanks for all the help and I'll keep everybody updated!

2. why are you transplanting from coco to soil? should just go coco the whole grow

but you can transplant it same as any mix, it's not necessary to wash off the coco fom the root ball.

3. add 10-20 % worm castings to that mix..and your seedlings will thank you, your grow will be easier, + you will not need to worry about feeding em for a couple weeks.
    ohh yea , just up pot normally ..the roots will grow into the nutrient ( new soil) ..and not even notice that little dixie cup of coir , that is nutrient deprived.

4. Cool. After talking with the guys at my local hydro shop and the advice you guys have given me I've decided to go coco the whole way! I made a mix of 50/50 with perlite and depending on how my beans look tonight I might be planting!!! I don't have the worm castings; but I have been reading that they don't need any nutrients for a while. Will it be ok if I just plant in the perlite/coco mix?

and plus rep forwharf and biggie for gettin back to me so quick with perfect information! I've been so nervous about this grow but it all seems to be falling into place now. Definitely appreciate all the help guys.

5. if you are gonna run coco all the way, then yes.

Look, if you are going the hydro store ..just ask the guy for Rapid Rooter Plugs ( or close to it). Your best bet for what it sounds like you are planning IMHO. Especially if you are at the germinating stage/cloning ( yup, they work wonders for that too), and have a hydro store close by.

Wharf

6. Wharf- probably too late for that now lol. I have a taproot!!!!!!!! First one ever. I'm waiting for my ph meter to finish soaking (30 more mins) and I'm going to give the coco/perlite a rince with some balanced water and plant that thing. So excited!

7. LOL cool, and lots of good luck, karma, will, cosmic charlie uber rays, or whatever else may be clever.

I suggest you ask the hydro guy about them rooting plugs anyways..they rock.

8. get a small dixie cup of the mixture to start your taproot in then transplant to your final container.

9. Thanks guys. Like I said I think I'm going coco all the way lol. Hydro dudes said it might be easier for a first time gardener. I'm very scientifically minded too (engineer); so it should be fun to have total control over environmental conditions.
    First "issue"-
    I planted my first taproot at 1AM; and for some reason (pretty sure it was the roor/vape combo lol) thought it was supposed to go back in the dark. So I put it in a small pot (about dixie cup size) with saran wrap set on top and it went back into the linen closet (dark and humid) until 10 when I remembered and confirmed that it was supposed to be under lights lol. I have it under 2 26 watt 5500K cfl's 12" from the top of the soil.
    Is this about right and do you think it'll be ok after spending 9 hours in the dark?

10. it will be fine. 12" is way too far though. Cut it down to one cfl and put it within 3" of the mixture.

11. light is not a worry till after it has broken ground. trust me, dirt/coco/hydroton....all of em have terrible light penetration ;)

After she ( gotta think positive) has broken ground, I'm with Biggie on light distance.. as close as possible.