New gaming computer

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by mushroomsatsuji, Oct 9, 2010.

1. For my moms birthday, we got her a new computer. The other one is slow as fuck and bogged down with a shitload of files. So after we hooked up the new one, I took the old one. I formatted the whole thing and re-installed windows. Right now Im getting all the other necessary programs installed and then installing my games. Im also going to get a switcher so I can run both at the same time on the same monitor. Im so happy ^^

2. YAY hahah new comps are always fun. Just in time for some sweet ass games to release too man

3. ^What's comin up? I'm building a new PC in a couple days as well.

4. It's not good enough for current games but at least it will play them unlike my other one. Sadly this thing is slow as Fuck. Did I mention that?

5. save up some money, you can build a decent gaming tower for 400-500$, im in the process of building a new one myself

6. All I need is about $150 to complete mine. Someone stole my vid card and I dont have any money

7. Good for you, dude! I'm building my family a new rig myself. Convinced them to stop wasting money on satellite TV and they want me to build a good PC for them.:hello:

And what video card are you thinking of getting? I got myself a Sapphire HD Radeon 3650 and it can play pretty much anything you can throw at it along with my ol' Pentium 4.:cool:

8. Someone here suggested I get this one
    Newegg.com - HIS IceQ H467QS1GHA Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 AGP 4X/8X HDCP Ready Video Card

9. cool story bro

10. Cool post bro

11. Don't be a dick.

Anyways, Mushroom, I took a look at the card, and I've got to say, that isn't a bad deal at all. Depending on what Processor you have though, you could be severely bottlenecked in any gaming application.

12. I just replaced the thermal gel on the processor. Would this help speed it up? Im thinking there is something wrong with it because formatting and re-installing XP would speed it up and its just as slow as ever

13. What processor is it? It's good you're keeping the thing cool, but there's only so much power a processor can produce. For example, if you have a Pentium 4 2.8 ghz without hyperthreading, you aren't going to get much out of it no matter what you do.

Also, how much RAM does this rig have, and what's your paging file size?

14. Actually I think thats exactly what it is...

256mb
    ntfs

15. Yeah, you may not want to buy that video card you mentioned earlier, like I said in my last post, that processor cannot do much these days. Maybe get yourself another stick of RAM, either a 512MB or 1GB should do it, and increase your paging file size.

Here's how you can change the Page File:
    -Go to your control Panel, find and open "System"
    -Click on the "Advanced" tab.
    -There's a section called "Performance." Hit "Settings." A new window will pop up.
    -Click on the "Advanced" tab again.
    -There will be a section called "Virtual Memory." Hit "Change."
    -Uncheck the box that says that the system could manage the size.
    -Select "Custom size", and in both boxes enter "2047"

This should make your computer noticeably faster.:D

16. I have 2 computers now. The vid card is for the one Im building. The one Im trying to make work is an old dell

17. Ohh, my bad!

Well then, disregard what I said there,:eek: but the paging file size tip I gave you would still be a good idea for that old Dell.:D

18. Even so, RAM is incredibly inexpensive, and 256MB won't make a hell of a lot run even on that machine.

Is the board running DDR or DDR2? If it's the latter, which I'm guessing it is, you can buy 1GB of Kingston for $21.

19. It's a pentium 4 2.8 ghz, a socket 478 processor. I don't believe DDR2 was supported for those kinds of computers.

20. Pentium 4 2.66

I just upgraded it by switching my 1gb DDR from my other computer and it sped it up tremendously.