New England Growers

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by jswe860, Jan 24, 2012.

1. I am just seeking some advice from some veteran NE outdoor growers (if you're from Connecticut, even better, but I'm not picky). I have never grown before, but I am an every day smoker, and I have somewhat of an understanding of the basic growing process. I plan on trying to grow a few plants this upcoming season, and any advice from people who have had success in NE would be really helpful. I live way back in the woods, so I have plenty of options in terms of areas to plant, and I have enough time to give the plants regular attention. I would really appreciate any advice regarding techniques, strains, fertilizing and pretty much anything else that could help me grow some decent bud.

2. hi welcome to GC :wave:

I live and grow in mass so im not too far from u climate wise. a huge aspect of growing is picking your grow site. since it sounds like you dont have to worry about anyone finding your grow, you want to pick a spot with as much direct sunlight possible. i prefer to use buckets to grow in, probably want something in the 5-15 gallon range for each plant..make sure you drill plenty of drainage holes in the bottom ofcourse. the main reason i use pots rather than putting them right in the ground, is ive found animals can get at your plants/seeds in the ground alot easier than in a pot, and also if your supposed to get a bad storm in your area, its best to move them to somewhere safe away from the winds and too much rain.

look up a good soil mixture to use which im sure u can find elsewhere on the forum here(stickies).

now as far as strains go, you have tons of choices. go onto attitude seedbank and pick one that looks like something youd wanna grow. make sure it has good resistance to mold, and finishes outdoors by sept-oct. Photoperiod plants should be fine, no need to use autoflowering strains.

Do LOTS of reading on the forums to help you through, and if theres anything you cant find, then feel free to post a specific question for other more experienced growers here can help you with.

goodluck and happy growing :wave:

3. Werd i live in the 860 too haha. I've done three outdoor grows total. Let me tell you...literally just mix some regular potting soil with ground soil, that has worked for silver haze plants to my regular 10 foot tall bagseed plant.

This season I'm going with -
    Dutch Passion Frisian Dew (fems only)
    Dutch Passion Hollands Hope (regs or fems)
    Green House A.M.S (Anti Mould Strain) (fems only)

They're all available at 'herbies seed bank'. This is what they reccomended to me for our hemisphere AND theyre all good for mold resistance.

Shoot me a message to keep me updated with what ya chose. Good luck!

4. #4 jswe860, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
    Thanks for the replies guys. My main concern was the unpredictable weather, but it sounds like that shouldn't be a problem. What time in the spring would you say is a good time to plant?

5. in this area most start planting on 4/20. however if you have autoflowering plants i would suggest plant early-mid june (they take roughly 3 months)

6. #6 jswe860, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
    I was actually thinking about autoflowering plants just for the sake of time. I have to go back to school at the end of august so unfortunately I wouldn't be around to take care of the plants in september or october. I would prefer growing normal plants but because of time i think I'll end up with some kind of auto strain. I would probably plant them in early may, since that's when i get back from school

7. make sure the autoflowers have enough sunlight so you get a good yeild.

8. HAHA I always crack beans on 4/20 :smoke: Need to start a lil earlier this year though. I def wanna get some AF's too, hopefully get some mid-summer green to last til Nov. haha

9. you think earlier? anytime i have done earlier it ends up being lanky. like no leaves for the first foot of the plant. or theyre atleast all dead

10. Make sure you pick a good spot. Unlike the midwest where there are plenty of fields and large open spaces to grow, almost all of New England is forested. Look under power lines and in swamps/wetlands for grow spots. Don't plant near any trails or spots people go for outdoor recreation as for some reason people in this region feel the need to keep their man-made nature free from any legitimate foliage (AKA, they will report and watch your plant if found).

11. Will growing in a wetland area increase the chance of mold/bud rot? my situation is very similar to the op's (NE, student, 1st time, live in the sticks) so i hope no one minds if i butt in

12. i wouldnt think itd increase chances of mold..and itd definitly help with the watering aspect. just make sure to keep all your branches from touchin the ground

13. #13 jswe860, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
    These are the seeds that I'm leaning towards Paradise Seeds Pandora Autoflowering Feminized Seeds . They seem to have a pretty good yield compared to other autos. I'm sure that 60-100 grams is probably bullshit but honestly I would be happy getting a little over an ounce off each plant.

14. I meant me personally, but no real rush as long as its by Id say end of May