New Drug Policy a Distraction?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Berry, Oct 26, 2009.

1. I was just watching the news, and it seems as though since the feds released their memo changing their stance on medical marijuana prosecutions, it seems to be all over the news. The one thing that doesn't seem to be all over the news as much as it was a month ago is the healthcare debate. That made me think. Do you think that the Obama administration used to popularity and controversial nature of marijuana reform to kinda get people off their back about the healthcare bill?

2. :confused: I thought the swine flu panic was supposed to do that?

3. it's a 2 pronged attack. Obama is so concerned with his image that he's guarenteed to wait until it's conveinient for him to do anything about drug policy.
    this healthcare bill is complete bullshit, reform is needed, not a vote on a blank slate that can be edited and changed after it's passed. as far as a working bill in the senate, there's nothing there, no one has seen the full text because it hasn't even been written yet. it pisses me off a lot when a represenative votes on a bill that they didn't read, let alone one that hasn't even been written yet

4. I haven't been able to understand anything about the health care reform bill, and I have tried to read some analysis-with no luck. The part I can't understand is how you can't have duplicate testing-suppose the first doctor/hospital screws up the test, as they do so often-then what?:confused: I get hung up on the little questions of how this thing is supposed to work...

5. Exactly, I think most people will agree that we need reform, but most people don't like the way they are trying to push through this horrible bill. So, thats why I think Obama decided to put out this memo saying they won't prosecute medical marijuana. It will give him a little boost in approval rating, and get the media and publics attention off of the health care bill just long enough for them to squeeze it through without much more criticism. I think Obama is smart and he is just waiting till the time is right for him strategically to make any real drug policy reforms. He will probably push for something right before the next elections, that way he gets the support of the marijuana activists, who he is probably noticing is a pretty big movement.

6. #6 Brumac, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2009
    If anything, I think it hurts his approval rating. Pot advocates do not want anything short of full legalization. Sure it seems humanitarian not to go after those suffering debilitating illness's that use marijuana for relief. However this doesn't help the other 10 million who use pot recreationally - instead of other worse/legal substances such as alcohol. What about those who use it for medical issues that go undiagnosed? If they get caught they will still be treated as a criminal. Also, this only affects fourteen states, what about the states where marijuana is still demonized?

Honestly this was just a "memo"... There were no hard laws put into stone. Its just "looked down upon" if the feds go after medical mj users and dispensaries, but don't think that some federal agencies will continue doing it! We need hard laws on the books folks to keep those few fanatical feds at bay, a law that basically tells them to go fuck themselves. Oh ya, that law is LEGALIZING WEED.

P.S. Don't settle for Obama's posturing as if he wants MJ legalized, Obama's approval rating is lower than George Bush's ever got - he has enough problems to deal with... Only be satisfied when full legalization happens.

7. from an outsider's perspective, shouldn't this whole issue of not going after those in compliance with state laws been how it should have been handled since the MMJ acts passed in the first place?

to be completely honest, i don't see this stopping the DEA... they'll probably just find some tiny infraction (or just invent one as they've done before) to chase MMJ users and dispensaries anyway. hell, they've built their empire on lies and deception... do you really think they're going to just turn around and become honest and productive members of society?

besides, how much money do they get for this idiotic "war" anyway? do you really think they're going to sit back and let their budget wither away?