New cycle no till advice

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Kdebi, Oct 21, 2018.

1. I just finished my first cycle of a indoor no till grow. Using 30 gallon smart pots. Used the watering schedule layed out in the no till thread. Everything through out the grow went flawless and I couldn't be happier with the yeild and quality.

I'm about 2-3 weeks out from transplanting the next batch of seedlings into the 30 gallon pots.

My question is is there anything I should be giving the soil in between cycles??

• Like Like x 1
  2. A thick layer of finely ground up leaves on top for a mulch works great. Dryer leaves grind up easy, greener stuff i shred and chop. I like a mix of both kinds. I would then mist the mulch to get it breaking down.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thanks I'll give that a go. Maybe top dress with some Ewc as well

4. Be sure to keep your soil watered and 'alive'. If it has gotten a little dried out an EWC or compost top dressing, or an EWC tea will help. ;)

P-

• Like Like x 2
  5. I just top dressed with ewc, kelp meal, and neem meal then covered with straw and watered in thoroughly with plain water with 1/4 cup aloe per gallon. Also thinking of throwing some crimson clover in there to start a a living mulch on top of already existing mulch. Anybody have any thoughts towards this?

• Like Like x 1
  6. I personally feel that dead mulch is far more beneficial in container gardening than a living mulch. I always want to keep the decomposers happy in the soil, and hard at work.
    The top dress of neem, kelp, and ewc is a win.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I have the dead mulch ( straw) on the bottom would adding the living mulch upset the decomposes or do u just think it's a waste of time and not benificial?

8. The living mulch won't upset anything, I just feel its not terribly beneficial between cycles unless it is going to be a very long time between cycles. If it was a new mix that had never seen plant life, it would be more beneficial to run the cover crop to get the ball bouncing.
    Over the years I have tried the clover cover crops in containers and it just seems like piling on mulch really does more in the end, and its way easier. I used to be a huge advocate for cover crops, but mulching is where it is at. I first ran the clover because I didn't have mulch to add, and it was winter and couldn't get any.
    I also read about a lot of folks having issues with pests in their clover, but I never saw that myself. I do have a houseplant or 2 that are very old with clover growing in unison with the other plants, but for canna it doesn't work for me.
    There is no wrong way, just my $.02. What you have done so far is great.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. That makes sense I'll hold off on the clover for the time being. it will be much better utilized in my outdoor gardens anyway as a fall cover crop thanks for the advice

• Like Like x 1
  10. You can talk dress with some help neem meal and working into the first inch of soil I personally like to use crab shell because it breaks down very slowly

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  11. I've stopped using living mulch for the most part. Like others have said if you get bug or mold problems the cover crop is a real pita. Applying compost and mulch works much better in my gardens.

P-

• Like Like x 2
  12. That's the route I take. Its way easier to harvest some from the lawn or a bed, and then mulch it on a container.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1