New Coast of Maine product?And a question for vet organic growers about it.

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by xDisciplex, Oct 10, 2012.

1. #1 xDisciplex, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
    Ok I picked this up today at a Blue Seal Feed store.They said it was new this year.http://www.coastofmaine.com/fertilizers-lobster_kelp.shtml

Its called Coast of Maine Lobster & Kelp Plant Food 5-3-4.It says use with our lobster compost enriched with worm castings,and crab.

On the back it lists these ingredients:

Fish meal,EWC,Alfalfa meal,feather meal,crab,and lobster meal,potassium sulfate,molasses,kelp meal,kelp extract,epsom salts.

So my question is.Basically this sounds like a regular meal mix,except for the potassium,EWC,espom,and kelp extract.

However it says plant food.

Should I still add my "epsoma plant tone" to my soil or what????

Thanks

Ohh,and for those not around here that wish they could get it.It comes in 4lb bags for $11.99.2 of them would easily fit into one of those USPS box's thats ships anything that fits in it for like 5 bucks.They have a list of retailers I think on the site.

2. Nice find X. I would consider this a nutritional amendments, so pick the Epsoma or this, or mix and match, staying at several cups per CF.

J

3. #3 xDisciplex, Oct 10, 2012

Just to be clear your saying if I use this do not use epsoma.its the mix,and match you confused me with.

Maybe 2 cups of this,and 1 cup epsoma per CF.Or vise versa?Is that what you mean?

4. I'm saying use one or the other, or half n half of each.

You might be able to up the amount (a little) on the COM product since it looks like they added castings but basically it is a blended organic fertilizer, just like the Epsoma products - only with some castings added.

J

5. And more questions.

So should I still amend my soil with extral kelp,alfalfa,and other meals????

6. #7 xDisciplex, Oct 10, 2012
    Funny thats why I origanally went to blue seal to get some crab meal.The ladie said they had it when I called,but I got there
    she was wrong.But I did happen upon the new COM product above so it was cool.

Anyway I wanted crab meal because of what I read in ITG's wonderful post.I recently had some spidermites because I was stupid,and took a clone from someone,and didnt ask if the plant was an outside plant.Never make that mistake again.

Crab meal: Crab meal is a good source of N and P, and is an excellent source of Ca. Crab meal also contains chitin, which acts as a pesticide. The chitin in crab meal stimulates soil microbes to exude an enzyme called chitinase. Chitinase breaks down the exoskeletons of many pests and their eggs (the exoskeletons and eggs contain chitin, and the chitinase breaks down this chitin).

I like the thought of premptive strikes against those bastards.The neem I used did work fine though.

7. Coast of Maine also has an amazing lobster compost that is way high in chitin. It is called Quoddy. I also mix with their Bar harbor potting soil and they have worm castings too. All their products have weird names but the stuff is legit. Made in Maine and approved for organic growers by MOFGA.

8. Chitinase - another reason to use rock dust/granite meal.

J

Ps - as far as adding additional kelp, alfalfa and other meals (neem meal), this is the gardeners call. If this was me I might go 50/50 with my own meals and the COM product. It sounds like a fine product and I wouldn't have any problem using it.

Don't forget the rock dust.

J

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ^this. That CoM product sounds excellent. Use what you have. If you've got the other meals, absolutely add them to your soil along with the CoM fertilizer.