New bong! got a couple questions (pics)

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by localdankman, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Just got this new bong for $180, I like the bong a lot but have a few questions. I want a downstem for the bong because right now I have to fill the beaker to the top for the smoke to draw through it so a downstem would allow me to put in less water. I measured the diameter of the hole the bowl goes in and its right around 20mm. is this a common size for a bong? and how should i go about getting one, online or a nearby headshop?

Also about the percolators, do they usually get pretty fogged up looking from the water stuck inside them making it humid? and can this cause mold in the bong?

thanks for any replies :smoking:

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Wow you really got ripped the fuck off

3. #3 Technyque, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013
    Very informative post, great job.

But for real, you paid $180 and received no downstem? Shiiiiit...a downstem will make your piece function how its supposed to, smoke isn't even easily passing through the water in your beaker.

Usually standard joint sizes used are 18.8mm (18mm is the description most sites/people use) and 14mm, but it looks like you want an 18mm > 18mm downstem. You should be able to find a nice one at a shop near you, and that way you know exactly what to expect and they can possibly help you out with any other questions you have.

As for the fogginess you're talking about, are you sure it isn't condensation from the temp water you use vs the temp around you? Pretty safe to say mold wont grow in your bong, unless you never ever clean it or change the water.

4. Sorry about your loss OP
    It makes me rage that headshops out there take advantage of peoples ignorance to the glass world like this. That piece is worth no more than 100 bucks, should be much less since it doesn't even have a downstem, and the ash catcher looks like.. well, i dunno, doesn't look like it even holds water or functions, might as well not even have one.

BUT if you do order a downstem (measure how long it needs to be with a pencil), it looks like it should be a somewhat decently functioning, if not very draggy, piece for flower rips. Just please, never go to that head shop again; or if you do, do some research beforehand so you don't get ripped off next time.

5. Damn I feel pretty dumb after reading the posts.. I knew I should of gotten a brand name like Roor or something similar. Well if I add a new diffused down stem and a REAL ash catcher do you think it'll be an ok bong after all?

6. Ya it'll be a fine bong just be careful with it. it's weird you didn't get a downstem but if you throw an alex k or sg 180 gridded in there it'll function great. also why no water in the trees?

7. Yeah man hopefully you can rectify this situation. I would go into the headshop with pictures of your bong and the receipt you hopefully still have and complain. Say you thought there was a downstem and were severely disappointed when you realized otherwise.

When you do get a downstem you should stick the pencil in at the same angle as the female joint on your bong. You should insert it until the tip is positioned directly above the center of your bong base. Mark the pencil right where it exits the bong's female joint. That measurement should be rounded up to the nearest .25 inch if you like to smoke on an angle. Round down if you like to hit the bong straight.

PS - The last part is personal preference but its solid advice. The length may be in cm...have both measurements

While its true that its often referenced as 18 mm you should always refer to it as 18.8. The last thing you want is to be sold some china piece thats actually 18 mm and wont fit.

Id recommend a good pearl diffused or showerhead downstem. I definitely wouldnt get a tree downstem. Just get what looks well constructed and before you make your purchase go back home...rethink it...and if youre still sure go back and get it!!

Good luck! :bongin: