New Ballast/New Bulb

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by billgee, Nov 25, 2011.

1. I just purchased a ReVolt 400watt HPS/MW Dimmabble Electronic ballast. Does anyone know whether I need a new bulb? I put in my 400 watt hps bulb from my former setup and it works. But.... The light does not change when I switch 50/75/100%. Do I need a dimmable bulb as well?

These dimmable ballasts seem the wave of the future to me. The fan. the electronics. Power supplies will always be needed. Cooling them is the best idea in 50 years. Dimming aint a bad idea either. Does anyone have an opinion about them?

Ive heard a lot about the Super HPS bulbs with the enhanced blue range for vegging. Does anyone have any tugged-by-the-nuts experience with them?
    Do they produce?

Any opinions are appreciated

2. I have a 600 watt quantum series lamp with the dimmable feature. It's my understanding that the dim feature should work with any bulb. I'm using a plantmax bulb in mine right now and it works great. I was also told not to use the feature while the light was on as it could cause damage to both the ballast and bulb. They said the light should always be off when switching to 100/75/50.

3. :hello:
    Woops
    Thanks.
    I have been seriously fucking up with that switch.

Appreciate it. :wave:

4. I have 600 Lumatek dimm ballast with Digilux bulbs . When dimming the ballast while light is on bulb is dimming and when turning the knob up bulb producing more light. I think your ballast is not working properly if you can not see any difference when turning the knob...

5. Uh-oh

The last post told me not to touch th dial when it was on and that seemed to have some validity
    But so does yours :confused:

I dont know what to think

You both seem right

6. This is what I did and nothing happened.
    But if you want to stay on the save side then contact the manufacturer and ask :wave:

7. I have 600w Lumatek and I was told not too change the wattage with the light on.

8. I went to Lumatek site and was not able to find any info on the subject.The only thing they say in FAQs is not to hot start the bulb .So if it is on and then you shut off the ballast, then "ballast operator" must wait about 20 min to start it again.Other than that there is no info on any restrictions when turning the knob.
    But as I said earlier the best thing for him to do is to get in touch with ballast manufacturer to know for sure.:wave:

9. Ive been turning it off/on continuously because my Sylvania timer went bad. I got another Heavy Duty Intermatic timer and they work great. Lots of plugging in the beginning and I did it badly.
    Its a cardinal rule of Hi-power lights to wait before you turn it on but I got away with it. Coulda been different. Bulb coulda exploded. Just lucky.:smoke:

10. Ive been turning it off/on continuously because my Sylvania timer went bad. I got another Heavy Duty Intermatic timer and they work great. Lots of plugging in the beginning and I did it badly.
    Its a cardinal rule of Hi-power lights to wait before you turn it on but I got away with it. Coulda been different. Bulb coulda exploded. Just lucky.:smoke: