New at this

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Mortikai, Sep 8, 2008.

1. So I've tried a couple times before to get into a workout regiment, the excuse I use for ending the last one is that I got a DUI and therefore didn't want to bog down family and friends for a ride to the gym.

Anyway, I'm in college now and with 3 gyms on campus the only excuse I can come up for not getting into shape and building some mass like i KNOW i want to is sheer laziness.

So I've been researching here and there, gathered that nutrition in dieting is essential.

I'm roughly 5'11'' and 130 lbs... According to a calculator I found through johnstonefitness.com I'm somewhere between an Ecto/Mesomorph. I currently wouldn't even be able to estimate my daily caloric intake, but I can almost assure that its inefficient... I haven't had to watch what I eat my entire life and I just eating when I was hungry until I was full on whatever looked good at the time seemed to have been keeping me fat-less so far. But I figure eventually my metabolism is going to slow down so I should get a jump on things.

I'm going to pick up some soy protein and multi vitamins here in a couple days but am unsure of how often I should work out.

Meaning, idk if it would be more beneficial to me in building mass to push hard 3/4 days a week or shoot for 5/6.

Basically I'm asking for some advice on how to get things started. I'll be monitoring my diet (nothing in a spreadsheet or journal cuz I know I would never be able to keep up with it, at least not at this stage of the game) to incorporate more fruits and vegetables. I'm going to try eating smaller meals throughout the day rather than just a couple meals at random times. I think my biggest help is going to come from snacking on fruits in between meals, and looking for some good carbs and veggies when sitting down for meals.

I'm waiting for my account to activate on a couple of body-building sites, but I figured until that happened some information from what i know to be some great body-building blades out there couldn't hurt.;)

Thanks in advance.

2. wow man your skinny as hell. right now id say, while still getting your fruits and veggies in, pig out all you want because your body is gonna need the calories for energy and protein to build mass so dont worry about how much you eat. i mean that. EAT. A LOT.

and 5/6 days a week is too much

3. Yeah I figured I'd be able to handle not watching how much I ate because I'd be putting it all to work anyway. I'm just trying to watch WHAT I eat at this point... I don't want to fill up before I get in the nutrients I need, ya dig? Cuz I mean I've never been able to eat a WHOLE lot unless i haven't eaten that day yet and mass-blaze and pig out. Even then I know i'm full I just can't stop grabbing handfuls of chips or whatever.

Anyway, any recommendations on what I should eat? Other than veggies and fruit?

I haven't eaten breakfast as a routine my entire left, its kinda of a once-in-a-blue-moon thing for me, but I bought some Nuitrigrain bars so I could get some calories in me before class.

I have 8am classes every day and my classes are back to back so I'm planning on working out after that. I figured I could grab some fruit on eat that while I go to my dorm to change/drop of my stuff. Stretch and jog the quarter mile to the gym to get warmed up. Work out, and then chow down. for lunch

Would it be better to eat first, wait an hour, and THEN work out, or the way i'm planning it now? It's not unusual for me to go long periods without getting hungry, I'm just worried if I wait I won't get enough calories. I figure I should shoot for 2500-3000 daily to get some good weight gain, I just don't know where those calories will come from and I don't want them to come from cafeteria pizza.

4. definitely have a substantial breakfast before class or just fill your self up somehow a little bit before you work out because your gonna NEED those calories for when you work out. i would go like this: solid break fast before class(eggs, toast, apple, maybe bacon idk whatever) , a somewhat subsantial snack before your work out, then after you work out you need to get your body protein so have like a steak and cheese sub or something like that for lunch. i recomend having 5-6 smaller meals with about 20gs of protien each a day.