New at this, hand troubles

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by Silent Kite, Dec 5, 2012.

1. I picked up a copy of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, 4th edition, as several people here recommended it. I've gathered the suggested tools and I'm about to start the beginning exercises. I'm pretty excited, I've always wanted to learn to draw I just never took the time to do so.

My grandpa said when I was little I used to hold my crayons in my right hand when I would color and doodle. I burned my palm on a kerosine heater and after that I started using my left hand. (I was in a bandage, forget how many days, but no permanent damage) I was pretty young so I don't remember the switch, but I've been a lefty ever since. I don't hold my pencil normally either. I grip it with my ring and pinky finger underneath, other two fingers and thumb over top. My teachers tried to correct me and made me use pencil guards, but I never got in the habit of doing it "correctly." Holding it my way causes my arm to tire out easily, and when I write a lot my hand cramps up. In middle school I started writing with my right hand when my left would tire out. I think it's the angle, but I hold my pencil normally in my right hand and my handwriting is much neater, although it takes me longer.

I bat left, pitch right, and overall I'm pretty ambidextrous. Even I don't know what to make of myself. I wonder if i was wired to be righty, and then using my left hand at an early age forced me to develop differently. I think I'm going to try and adjust to holding my pencil correctly in my left hand, but I'm going to experiment with training my right hand as well. In addition to drawing I'd like to improve my handwriting, since my high ideas tend to flow better pen and paper rather than typing.

Anyone else have strange hand habits? Any tips for a beginner looking for their inner artist?

2. The problem isnt so much the way you hold the pencil..

It's the way you're using it. From what you've just said, it's obvious you're relying on your wrist for all your pencil movements. Try using your shoulder to do most of the work, i had the same problem and realized using my shoulder really helped.

Before you draw do the following: flex your fingers outward, and hold them like that for at least 15 seconds, it might hurt a little, but this is a stretching excercise..

Afterwards, get up, and shake your wrists.. this is something all artists should do.

You'll cramp far less.

I dont believe in pencil guards, over the years, i've developed a permanent callus, and this negates the need for one.

3. ^ You use your shoulder for your pencil movements? I've only tried doing that when I work with gesture drawing, and very rough sketches. Then again I focus more on manipulating with my finger movements and my wrist when drawing regularly.

I also hold my pencil weird. I'm a leftie with my pencil between my thumb and pointer + my middle and ring.

OP what kind of art are you interested in?

4. you're right. Thanks for the tips. :)

I'm mostly interested in psychedelic art. There's so many pieces that I look at and I'm like "omg I've been there!" and I feel this connection to the artist.

For sketches though I'm interested in realistic stuff. People, objects, landscapes. Mostly just to compliment my writing and boost my creativity.

5. I had a set of finger pencils a while back, when I fucked my tendons up and still wanted to draw.. It helped alot.

Kinda similar to this, only it fit on the finger like a glove fingertip

[​IMG]

Nobody has to do it the traditional way!