New Arizer Solo, charging/battery instructions?s

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by palooza, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Hi I recently purchased an Arizer Solo vape and I want to maximise the battery life of this badboy. Out the box should I use immediately and drain the battery? Should I fully charge before using? Also when using regularly should i drain the battery between charges or charge when battery is half full? Who's really knowledgeable about lithium ion batteries around here?

First of all, is it an M1A or above? Look at the bottom near the charging port, there should be M1A******* (don't give me the whole serial number just the first 3 or 4 numbers)

3. #4 Yosh139, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
    Okay so it has a software tweak to show the wrong battery level, it is meant for you to charge it earlier. In reality, the battery has about 5-8 uses (depending on heat level) and when you get to "idle" you still have a couple of uses left (just don't over do it, the software is very finnicky and can cause you to send it back in because of a voltage drop!). So don't deplete the battery. With that being said, to maximize the battery life pull it off the charger when it's at 7 and ALWAYS charge it when it gets to idle (first to prolong battery life and second to avoid what I said earlier). You can get a power adapter from planetvape that passes through the battery to allow you to use outlet power so for those instances that you want to keep going but your battery doesn't, you can use outlet power (to avoid, again, what I said earlier). I went ahead and got an extra Solo so when I am out and about and not near a power outlet, I can always pull out my second Solo.

TL;DR: You should've read the whole thing, the Solo's software is finicky. To add though, a general rule of thumb is to charge lithium ion batteries to 90% and to deplete them to about 50% (equivalent to the beginning of 7 and idle)

4. #5 palooza, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2013
    Is idle really 50% though? surely its a little bit higher like 1 or 2? Also that wall power outlet, does it completely bypass the battery? Also how do i check the charge of the battery?

Yes idle is roughly 50% in my experience, I have two Solos and my girlfriend has one.

Yes it bypasses the battery. Maybe not for the LED's but the heater is run by the outlet.

When you turn it on by holding the buttons for 1 second, let go of the buttons. The LED's will show what battery level it's at. Then it shows you the temperature. 

6. Yosh is right. The solo tried to put safeguards in to basically make battery maintenance idiot proof. As in other than extreme cases it would be hard to really damage the solo battery.

I believe it is the microprocessor of the solo which makes it able charge or run. The power coming in should have to go to that before it reaches the battery or the heating element. Basically depending on the voltage that the solo sees when it gets turned on it makes a choice to charge or run. Any voltage out of the range of either of those choices should just show a light show on the LEDs. The solo is a complex unit though and its hard to really understand how it works so I could be completely off base here.

I have done a lot of reading about the solo and the best I can figure out is that we know it has certain characteristics under certain situations but they are hard to explain why they occur. This is why I believe the processors in the solo are a big part of the whole vape or charge aspect.

7. Well that is about as clear as mud, lol.

I sometimes forget I put it on the charger and it's on there after it's fully charged. Is this bad?

I charge it when it's not working as well. It seems after about 4-6 times, it takes longer to charge, and when I draw on it, the lights go down, and don't want to come back up very quickly. Like I set it on 4 or 5, and then when I draw, it goes down to 2 or 3 and it seems to not want to come back up.

I have no idea about idle, cause that blue light is always on.

8. When you run the solo off of the power adapter everything is powered by the 9v power coming in from the charger. For some reason, the battery still slowly discharges - but if you take it out the unit still runs exactly as it did while it was in, so I'm thinking there is a bit of a design flaw causing some power to be taken from the battery if it is available. 

Your battery is on it's way down I'm afraid. Even though the Solo has some built in considerations to extend the life of the battery, the batteries that Arizer uses in the Solo degrade very quickly and soon your only able to get a couple charges out of it before it starts dying on you. Arizer does not offer a replacement service either (they would rather you just get a whole new Solo). This problem led to me developing my own replacement batteries for the Solo that greatly extend the original capacity. You can get them at vapepower.ca if your interested. 

9. When I charge it , it work fine. I have absolutely no problems with it. I usually heat it up again if it kicks off like it's supposed to do, after 12 min. So I charge it after about 4 times, or really 8 times because i do it twice. It works perfectly until about the last time, it's slower to heat up.

Do you know what voltage it is that triggers it to run only?  Is it possible that I might have a cord laying around that fits and is the right voltage?  Or does it need some kind of manufacturer tweek?

I doubt it.

12. Question
    I have a solo and when it is on charger and full charge is reached
    Is it suppose to beep to show that it is fully charged?

I had mine on charge in room and my wife heard a beeping sound in the room and wanted to make sure some other alarm in house was not beeping.
    Thanks