never thought of it that way

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by codster50, Mar 30, 2015.

1. What do you guys think?

Humanity is the race of reason.  Its very existence and sustenance has depended on the development of its intellectual faculties.  As a matter of fact, reasoning is as much of an innate trait in humanity as instinct is to the rest of the animal kingdom.  The very nature of humanity is that it uses its logical, rational and analytic thought to progress; the very survival of humanity has depended on such a faculty.  Thus, the very idea of debilitating (e.g. intoxicating) this endowment is against the very nature of the human race.  Purposefully clouding the mind and blunting one's abilities goes against the very essence of humankind's existence.  Therefore, the first thing we must keep in mind is that intoxication is a prohibition of nature.

2. Agreed to an extent.
    Another way of looking at it is, because mankind spends so much time using reason and logic, the logical "unwinding"  period would be a time of purposeful suspending of said reasoning.    For example, I enjoy a glass of whiskey after work which undoubtedly intoxicates me, but I do it specifically for that reason because I spent the 9 hours prior to that crunching numbers and going from meeting to meeting.

The point I'm trying to make is that yes, we do operate based on our reasoning and clear mind, but we do not (have to) do it 24/7/365.  We have had plenty of examples throughout time of what happens when someone "snaps" due to lack of relaxation.

• Like Like x 1
  3. This is based on a ser of false premises.

Your premise is that humans are the race of reason. And that because of this we must be perfect, or it defeats the purpose

Are all birds and insects perfect flyers? Do all birds fly? All the time?

One thing humans learned with our reason is that life is pointless. If you think about if, all our knowledge and technology; all we really want is to live like animals. We want to eat sleep and fuck. We want to enjoy a comfortable llife.

We should enjoy life however we chose. There is no obligation to ne "human", and nature doesn't care what we do

There is no "prohibition of nature". That's called an oxmoron. Nature is neutral.

-yuri

• Like Like x 1
  4. ^ agree nature is neutral

Sent from my intergalactic spaceshiphotbox